We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus or Train to Austin

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Bus or Train to Austin

Hello,

My mother and her friend will be traveling to Austin in March from San Antonio. What would be their best option to get there? My mother is a young 80 and her friend is in her late 60's. Thanks.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus or Train to Austin

Renting a car and driving. The train runs once a day. There are two bus companies Greyhound (downtown) and some mexican company (broadway near downtown) that have service to Austin. If driving is out then take the train its $12.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,418 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus or Train to Austin

Greyhound $24 one-way about a dozen departures per day http://www.greyhound.com/

Amtrak $12 one-way One departure 7:00 am return is 7:00 pm

Bus is slightly more convenient to downtown. Not sure where the train station is in Austin. http://www.amtrak.com/

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus or Train to Austin

It's on S. Lamar, about 10 blocks from Congress. That's a pretty early departure for the train, but bus travel being what it is, I might shoot for the train anyway!

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus or Train to Austin

Thanks, I will pass this information on to my mother. I can also do the research for both Greyhound and Amtrak. At least I know the carriers.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus or Train to Austin

I think I would do the train also but the bus isn't a bad option.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,184 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus or Train to Austin

The train rarely runs on schedule. Check the web for actual departure times versus scheduled departures. This route has a very poor on time performance rating.

The travel time to Austin is 2.5 hours and return time is over 3 hours.

I love the train but for short hauls like this you will be spending about 6 hours on the train on a route you can drive in a little over an hour each way.

7. Re: Bus or Train to Austin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 01:17