We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting San Antonio for upcoming move to the area

Bristow, Virginia
Level Contributor
115 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting San Antonio for upcoming move to the area

Hello All. I am msotly looking for the help of the local experts. I will be taking a trip to San Antonio in about 2 weeks. My husband got a new job in Cotulla, and we plan to live in the south San Antonio area. Can anyone suggest to us, as we have never been there before, where we should be checking out. We are looking for a nicer neighborhood close to shopping and restaurants. We plan on buying and starting a new family. Any info would be really appreciated. Also, feel free to PM me. Thanks in advance.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting San Antonio for upcoming move to the area

I love Saint Augustine..A lot of old and new similar to San Antonio(without the beach)..Although the happening area in SA is the 1604 area(North) you should find some great deals near the Toyota plant..Coming from Florida I believe you will not be happy on that part of town though..The schools there are pretty bad as well...Perhaps it will work as a starter home....

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,882 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting San Antonio for upcoming move to the area

may want to check out Castroville...more west than south...Smithson Valley School District.

You may want to visit the smaller towns near SA...the best public schools are on the far north/northwest side of SA...

.could visit Lytle, Hondo, Devine etc....

I hope this is not your first visit is not your first visit...there will be some contrast to Florida....it depends if you want more city life or more small town atmosphere

Bristow, Virginia
Level Contributor
115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting San Antonio for upcoming move to the area

no so much worried about school districts as in a need for them any time soon, but do find the nicer neighborhoods to have nicer schools, people, etc.

yes, 1st time to San Ant. but former military so quite used to big culture changes. i just want to be happy there, not like in so former posts we lived at.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,882 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting San Antonio for upcoming move to the area

I've always really liked SA. It still has a small town flavor to it even though it is 1.2 mil.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting San Antonio for upcoming move to the area

Thats going to be one long drive every day. Lytle might be ok, but Castroville would be better. Still a long drive, you had better hope that gas does not go back up to $4 a gallon

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,450 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting San Antonio for upcoming move to the area

Cotulla to Castorville 75 miles one way. Cotulla is one of the hottest spots in southern TX.

Bristow, Virginia
Level Contributor
115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting San Antonio for upcoming move to the area

"hottest" spot. Do you mean temperture wise?? Or "hip" wise?

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,450 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting San Antonio for upcoming move to the area

Temp

Austin is Hip, SA is Lame (in the best way) - Cotulla is definitely NOT hip. The whole area between SA and the coast or border is pretty rough country - terrain and climate-wise. "Ranches" huge fenced flat areas with scrub brush and cactus, little rainfall, used to propagate deer and other sport animals are the norm.

San Antonio is on the border of this type of terrain and the Texas Hill Country - more rain, rivers, lakes, hills. Most of the new development goes on in this area, north of SA.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting San Antonio for upcoming move to the area

Check out 1604 near Toyota their is lots of new housing going up in that area also you may want to check out Lytle. It will be a long drive..

10. Re: Visiting San Antonio for upcoming move to the area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 04:18