We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last words on our Feb stay

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hartford...
Level Contributor
510 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Last words on our Feb stay

Final words on our stay:

We found San Antonio a delightful city—so much to offer. Very few cities can claim a ‘gem’ like the Riverwalk. I know Providence, Rhode Island is trying to emulate SA; their “Firewater” displays on the river are pretty amazing, but still a well kept secret. And to have such a historically important building such as the Alamo right in the heart of the city is incredible. I’ve traveled all over the US and I don’t think I have ever been able to get up so close to an important site such as this at all hours of the day or night—most are either hidden behind locked doors or fences and only accessible during “operating hours”.

We found the locals extremely friendly and hospitable and Texas BBQ darn right delicious! I hope our travels finds us somewhere in Texas in the future.

Many, many thanks to the experts on the board who answered my many, many questions, especially Pruske25, OO, Octoboy, 1LIFE2LIVE, tejashombre, welsheltonj, poodlleone (oh, I know I shouldn’t have started to list you all individually, as I’m so afraid I’ve forgotten one or two….) And many thanks to those ‘new’ to the SA board posting *your SA questions, as I learned from them too.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last words on our Feb stay

Your welcome..I will be using your informative posts for reference for future visitors..Come back and see us..Fiesta is a fun time in April and floating the rivers in the summer...

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last words on our Feb stay

It's so great to get feedback, GalViolet. Thank you so much for taking the time, and writing really terrific trip reports.

There are more than a few cities that would love to emulate Riverwalk...but it takes a very special combination of elements. We lived in Tampa and Savannah before this, and both cities sent reps here to see if they could do the same thing in their cities. In both cases, the width of the rivers, the Savannah River and the Hillsborough River, would never have lent themselves to the ambiance of the little Riverwalk, nor can you just "build" today what Riverwalk has evolved into. It's been here a long time, growing and evolving slowly, with a climate that is favorable (not that Tampa and Savannah don't have that as well) and is ours to protect. Our current mayor has it right, and hopefully future mayors will be as diligent in protecting it!

Thanks again for such detailed reports. I've really enjoyed them.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last words on our Feb stay

It was a pleasure to help you out & thanks so much for a terrific TR with wonderful details that will help others that are planning to come to SA. It was such a pleasure to read!!!!

I do hope you get to come back & see the other sites that you didn't do this time.

Ashtabula, Ohio
Level Contributor
151 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last words on our Feb stay

GalViolet,

Thanks so much for the report. My husband and I are headed to SA at the end of the month. It sounds like we are the same age so I appreciated reading all that you did especially where you ate. I will write a trip report when we return.

5. Re: Last words on our Feb stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 06:19