We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any decent hotels within a block of the Menger?

Metro NYC
Level Contributor
36 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Any decent hotels within a block of the Menger?

Hello!

I am attending a conference at the Menger hotel the last week of April. After reading the Trip Advisor reviews I am certain I do not want to stay there.

With people complaining about bedbugs, moldy/dusty smells, dirty rooms, poor climate control, and cigarette smoke from the bar permeating everywhere I am certain it would be a killer for my allergies. Plus I find the thought of those bed bugs just a bit scary...

So I am looking for a hotel very close to the Menger so that I can easily walk between them a few times a day during breaks etc. I've never been to San Antonio, so am at a loss. Can you help?

Thanks in advance!

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,247 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any decent hotels within a block of the Menger?

Bed bugs and dirty rooms at the Menger? Doubtful. Smoke frr the bar maybe, depending how close you are. Within 1 block you have the the Crockett, Emily Morgan & Hyatt Regency. About 2-3 blcoks Hilton, (2)Marriotts, Grand Hyatt & Fairmont (not the Fairmont Chain) and Plaza San Antonio ( mgt: Marriott), St. Anthony and La Quinta. All very easy walks.

Metro NYC
Level Contributor
36 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any decent hotels within a block of the Menger?

Thank you so much for the information. It's a huge help!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any decent hotels within a block of the Menger?

If you are looking for hot deals for the above hotels if you want to check out this website. www.SanAntonio.com/hotels

or you could check out this one as well under SAVE

www.visitSanAntonio.com you can also check out a map for the downtown area so you can see where the hotels are located near the Menger. I also doubt about the bedbugs at the Menger or dirty. You look at the bottom of the screen under Tools click on maps for downtown or Riverwalk.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any decent hotels within a block of the Menger?

I have stayed at the Menger numerous times and NEVER encountered any of the problems you have mentioned. Yes, the bar is smoky but permeating into the guest rooms? Not my experience.

Metro NYC
Level Contributor
36 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any decent hotels within a block of the Menger?

Thanks so much for the links and the idea of the map! Big help.

It sounds like the Tripadvisor reviewers and the generous folks who have replied to me had different experiences. Comforting to know that you all have only good things to say. Just wonder how so many people were unhappy?

Metro NYC
Level Contributor
36 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any decent hotels within a block of the Menger?

Wonder if I might impose on you one more time and ask those who have stayed there if you have a preference for the older rooms, or the newer wing?

And again, thanks to all for your help!

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any decent hotels within a block of the Menger?

Those of us living in the area would have a hard time replying to your last question, ExecCoach. Few of us stay in local hotels. Generally we know them by reputation only, hearsay. Hopefully you'll have more visitors such as Gehrig answering your questions who have actually stayed there.

Honestly, I don't know the Menger except for her public spaces, and as others note, they stand out from the crowd. I was so surprised at how pleasant they were. Are the rooms dirty, dated, do they have bedbugs? I guarantee, not one of us can answer that question from firsthand knowledge. My husband is GM of a walking distance competitor and from his info, at least within the time frame we have been here, 4 years, the rooms are not dated, and that sort of thing nornakkt gets around in the hotel community if it is remarkable. I am highly suspicious of any review that complains about peeling back the sheets and finding bedbugs crawling about. As I understand it...that's not how those critters operate. Yes there are more contemporary hotels nearby, and newer means more up to date climate control, normally. The walk from neighboring hotels will be negligible. Is the rate good? Are you willing to risk it for a hotel with character and history? Do you believe in/are interested in/afraid of, ghosts? LOL Think hard about their rate, compared to those nearby. If you are like the average tourist, you are seldom in your room for anything more than sleep. Two things would be a deal breaker for me...bedbugs or smoke, and neither one of those is a prooven problem in that hotel.

Metro NYC
Level Contributor
36 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any decent hotels within a block of the Menger?

OO, thanks so much for your perspective -- especially the "insider" perspective on what would get around the local hotel community if there were big problems at the Menger.

I'm getting a good rate ($149 I think, conference rate) and it's far more convenient to stay in the hotel where the conference is being held, so it looks like that will be my choice thanks to the replies from this forum.

Many thanks to all!

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any decent hotels within a block of the Menger?

I hope it all works out, ExecCoach.

I was thinking about your thread after posting and wanted to add one other thing to my comments on the hotel.

We were transferred here from the Tampa Bay area, where The Best hotel in St Pete is the old Don CeSar, a 1920's era hotel. I still read complaints about that regarding the size of the rooms and bathrooms. Some people are terribly disappointed with that aspect and it colors their overall feeling about the hotel. They perhaps are used to new and beautiful, but the old Grand Dames will not have huge rooms, nor will the bathrooms be large enough for two tables of bridge...that's not the way they were built in that era. They have their own special charm, but it isn't for everyone. Anyway...hopefully your experience will be a pleasant one and you enjoy your (smoke-free!) stay.

Metro NYC
Level Contributor
36 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any decent hotels within a block of the Menger?

Hello again, OO!

I agree; I love the charm of historic old hotels and have stayed at a number of them. Room size is no issue for me -- all I need is good climate control, no smoke, and a clean room. Charm and history are a welcome bonus.

Thanks again for your kindness in writing multiple comments to me.