We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Convertible in April?

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Linz, Austria
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Convertible in April?

I have a probably very stupid question: I will be in SA April 15-23, and I need to rent a car; does it make sense to rent a convertible, or is it too hot or cold that time of the year? Is this something you do in SA, or is it just a stupid idea??

thx for your advise!

Alexander

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,198 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Convertible in April?

Will not be too cold. Too hot? Odds are against that, but this is south Texas, it could be. Or you can be like former president LBJ did, put down the top, roll up the windows and turn on the AC.

Linz, Austria
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Convertible in April?

So, this is not a stupid idea? I once rented a convertible in San Francisco which was a totally moronic idea since it was either way too cold and foggy (on the coast) or way too hot (inland).

thx!

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Convertible in April?

Heh heh...we did the top down A/C on when we lived in FL. :>

As to whether or not you'll want to rent a convertible here, it sort of depends on where you will be driving. We sold our convertible, a little two seater, about a year after moving here because I constantly felt I'd be squished like a bug by all the big rigs on the highway, plus, driving 70 mph with the top down is not a lot of fun, and most all my driving was interstate driving. If you are planning a backroads trip into the Hill Country, then it'd be a lot of fun with a convertible. We've done it top down in April around the Hill Country and enjoyed it immensely, but if you are sticking to the city streets, the missions trail, going out to the caverns or Gruene, that sort of thing, no, I wouldn't bother with a convertible. Weather probably will not be a factor, just where you'll be using it.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Convertible in April?

It is the perfect time of year for a convertible. Go for it. I have owned two and loved driving in the springtime with the top down. The smells can be exhilarating.

gk

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Convertible in April?

I am selling my Sedan Tuesday and am buying a convertible..It is perfect weather as long as you do not get a black interior..I am in the club with LBJ and OO....You will regret if you do not rent a ragtop..

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Convertible in April?

That's a great idea about renting a convertible. It's the perfect time of the year to do it. You will totally enjoy it if you like driving with the top down.

7. Re: Convertible in April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 04:17