We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A drought? Are you kidding me?

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
429 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
A drought? Are you kidding me?

Visit yearly for the WEBB Party in April, weather is usually just perfect with enough warmth to gear up my cold bones and tease me with our summer in July here in Van,BC.

Heading your way for our August long weekend (July/ 29-Aug/4 and have seen reports on the news that make me sweat!

Tips for beating the head besides a margarita and turning over in my lounger into the pool?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A drought? Are you kidding me?

Please don't beat your head not a good idea. LOL To beat the heat a pool & margarita sounds like a good way. I would do activities in AM or early evening & during the day stay by the pool or inside with AC. Who knows August may be better than June & July.

Have a great visit & Please bring some cool weather with you + snow or rain would be nice also. LOL

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A drought? Are you kidding me?

If you are coming in August for the first time, the fact that the drought is "official" really won't impact what you will experience- it's like this EVERY year in August. It's Texas, it's July/August, it's over 100 pretty much everyday. Previous advice was good- I would add consider visiting a cave while in SA.

Kitchener
Level Contributor
998 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A drought? Are you kidding me?

Hey luv -- as a fellow Canadian, we are heading to SA in a week's time and I know it will be hot. We were in Arizona last summer, Charleston the summer before and Florida the year before that, etc. You get my drift.

It takes a day or two to adjust -- are you driving or flying?

Otherwise, do what you can in the AM -- as previously posted, or later on in the afternoon. Plan on laying low over lunch -- that's what pools and airconditioned buildings are great for!

We found we would often go out in the morning and do stuff, return to our hotel either for lunch or just after, and then go out again later in the afternoon.

On the plus side, you will have lovely, warm evenings. Given the way our summer has been here -- I'm really looking forward to it. Enjoy!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
429 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A drought? Are you kidding me?

OOpps!

My fingers are too fast for my own good.

No," to beat my head" I agree not a good idea, and yes to laying low over the lunch hour.

Who knows, we just might be hooked on the hot weather as well. Maybe my new time of year to visit will be the summer!

Thanks all...-Luv

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,395 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A drought? Are you kidding me?

Playing in the river is my favorite. Although they are down, there are still plenty of swimming holes. Medina river around Bandera, Frio around Concan, The Guadalupe, and the Comal.

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A drought? Are you kidding me?

The heat is really hard to take this year, and we moved here from Tampa!! This has been the worst summer since our move, by far. Yes we hate the drought and what it's doing to our yards, but the heat is unrelenting. With any luck, this will break, but it's been going on so long now it feels like a permanent state of affairs! Early mornings are beautiful though...the earlier you get out, the better off you'll be.

Octoboy has a great suggestion in heading to the rivers, likewise poodleone's recommendation for a cave (Natural Bridge Caverns is a beautiful one). Those are both "cool" ideas! :>

7. Re: A drought? Are you kidding me?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2010, 05:18