We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do we need to make dinner reservations in advance?

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kitchener
Level Contributor
998 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
do we need to make dinner reservations in advance?

We will be in San Antonio at the end of July for two nights, midweek.

Do we need to make restaurant reservations in advance of our arrival? Of course we will reserve once we are at our hotel.

Any suggestions for nice meals -- under $150 per couple with drinks/wine. Thanks

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: do we need to make dinner reservations in advance?

Since you'll be here midweek you won't need to make reservation before you get here only the weekend sometimes can be tough.

Couple of good places to have a nice dinner

Tower of the Americas overlooking SA as the tower rotates around SA is a spectacular view especially at sunset. www.toweroftheamericas.com at the Chart House food is excellent melt in your mouth good service is superior & view spectacular.

Biga on the Banks has a beautiful view of the river & food is very good. www.biga.com For good Italian Paesanos www.paesanos.com For excellent & fresh seafood Pesca on the River at the Watermark.

I don't know if you are staying downtown & if you'll have a car but here are some other suggestions.

Away from the downtown area there is Silo with SW Flavors very unique www.siloelevatedcuisine.com the best place in SA has to be Le Reve for French www.restaurantlereve.com it is ranked the top 50 restaurant in America & has very dreamlike quality in decor & food.

Hope you find the one that meets your criteria for a great dinner in SA & hope you have a fantastic time in SA.

Kitchener
Level Contributor
998 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: do we need to make dinner reservations in advance?

Thank you for the info -- we are staying on the Riverwalk at the Omni and have a car. However, it is our preference to be able to stroll to dinner if possible so locations which are within walking distance (and we walk a lot) are good.

Pasadena, Texas
Level Contributor
98 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: do we need to make dinner reservations in advance?

Old San Francisco steak house is one of my favorites.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,210 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: do we need to make dinner reservations in advance?

the only place you will truly need reservations is LeReve..as mentioned above

you can call ahead for places like The Palm, Morton's, Ruth Crhis's, Biga etc., Little Rhein, Fig Tree

try Zinc wine bar, corner of Presa/Commerce

Swig's Martini Bar

near riverwalk Azuca

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: do we need to make dinner reservations in advance?

BTW. out of my suggestion, if you decide on Le Reve yes this 1 would need reservation ahead of time, it does get reserve way in advance, I believe there is only about 20 tables & well worth the money & may run closer to $200 per couple. Everything here is superior & very romantic.

The others you won't need to make reservation ahead.

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: do we need to make dinner reservations in advance?

Le Reve will run a minimum of $100 a person with wine, but it is absolutely phenomenal. 3 courses is $80, 4 courses $90, and 5 courses (tasting menu) $100 or 165 with wine pairings. We have done the tasting menu, but just had one bottle of wine, not wine pairings, (they've got a great wine list and good sommelier). Dining room is intimate....probably no more than 12 tables, linen, fresh flowers, simultaneous service. You need to make reservations for this one as soon as you think it's something you want to do, even weeks out. You may be lucky this time of year with summer being slower. Hands down, it is the best restaurant in town. No view...it's all about the food and what is going on in the dining room.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
325 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: do we need to make dinner reservations in advance?

I highly recommend Mi Tiara's. It is not an upscale restaurant, but simply has the best mexican food in town. It is in the market street area and the food is great! There is also a pastry shop in the front that has the greatest snacks!! Enjoy your stay!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: do we need to make dinner reservations in advance?

Mi Tierra has good Mexican Food but definitely not the best in town there are lots other that are better. It may be the better 1 in the downtown area near the RW.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,386 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: do we need to make dinner reservations in advance?

I'm with Pruske on this one. But I do recommend Mi Tierra's for the ambiance and the food is good.

So the question I have is, "What local (non chain) upscale ($100 - $150 per couple) restaurant do you like?" For helping Gundi here, we can keep it downtown.

We ate at J Alexanders and I was thoroughly disappointed by it's mediocrity. Nothing bad, but the best thing we had was dessert.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: do we need to make dinner reservations in advance?

Gundi, I just realize you were on the NO Forum as well, I can't remember if we are gonna be in NO at the same time, I'll be there next weekend.

BTW did you want an non chain or just a good restaurant cause some chains aren't every ere.

Like when we are in NO we'll be eating at 1 of Emeril's place even though they are a chain but we don't have 1 here.

Maybe a M & G could be had between NO or SA????