We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Antonio - Aldaco's ??

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Arkansas
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
San Antonio - Aldaco's ??

Looking for something off the beaten path of routine San Antonio visits. I saw a video ad for Aldacao's. Give me your thoughts on this place or other ideas. The video mentioned it was "at the highest point in the city". We like local favorite places, not chains and relaxed atmospheres. Have a day to spend in SA and we always go to the RW and just want something different this time. Thanks!!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Antonio - Aldaco's ??

Very good food & atmosphere at the Sunset Station definitely try the dessert the tres leches cake & the hot sauce is very good.

You may want to try Piedras Negras De Noche at 1312 S. Laredo if you want more of a authentic Mexican food restaurant that's very good as well. If you like homestyle meals than try Josephine St Café at 400 E. Josephine St.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,677 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Antonio - Aldaco's ??

Sunset is part of the historic Amtrak train station..definitely worth a visit ...voted Best Margaritas a couple of times (try mango, prickly pear)..several people have noted their cilantro lime salad dressing. Charro beans are good. Nice atmosphere, try to get a peek

at the original train terminal..

A friend of mine also likes Piedras but not sure what the hub-bub is about, it doesn't do anything for me.

Other options are El Mirrador, Panchito's, Blanco Cafe. At the least-try not to eat Mexican food on the RW-- ..there are much better places.

near (just south) of downtown is Taco Haven

http://www.tacohaven.info/

Tommys Mexican Restaurant

1205 Nogalitos

Henrys Taco to Go, 1503 Nogalitos.... tacos/take away..yummy..ladies are rolling tortillas in the storefront window.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Antonio - Aldaco's ??

Here is the website for the Historic Sunset Station. www.sunset-station.com

If you decide you don't want to walk back after the huge meal, you can take the streetcar/trolley back from there. www.viainfo.net/Busservice/streetcar.aspx

Have a great time in SA & write us a TR & let us know how it went & your thoughts on Aldacao's.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Antonio - Aldaco's ??

I am not a fan of Aldacao's at all. I would eat at Rosarios (not a fan of this one either) over Aldacaso, but to each their own.

Do you want Tex-Mex or Mexican?

Arkansas
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Antonio - Aldaco's ??

Thanks so much for all the information and links! I haven't heard about Sunset Station and will definitely check it out. RW is just so routine and I know there's more to SA. As far as Tex-Mex versus Mexican.... can't say I know the true difference - just like anything that I didn't cook and is hot & spicy! Joy

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Antonio - Aldaco's ??

The reason I gave you the website for Sunset Station cause Aldaco's is located there.

IMO Aldaco's is a lot better than Rosario's, food & atmosphere!!!!

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,677 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Antonio - Aldaco's ??

El Mirrador has been written up a couple of times in Southern Living.

a favorite place for breakfast is Guenther House, home to Pioneer Flour. In King william area.

www.guentherhouse.com

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,677 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Antonio - Aldaco's ??

a couple of off the beaten path suggestions

The Cove

Casbeer's

Chris Madrid Hambugers

Timbo's Hamburgers

Rudy's Seafood

Los Valles

Delicious Tamales

Central Market

Patti's Taco House

Little Red Barn

Tip Top

Mr and Mrs Gs

Radicke's Bluebonnet Grill

Wetmore Smokehouse

Taqueria Mexico

Blanco Cafe

La Michoacana

Jacala

Henry's Puffy Taco

Arkansas
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Antonio - Aldaco's ??

Lots of great ideas!! I've got to check out The Cove - looks too cool!! Noticed on its website that they have Wednesday jazz night. Thanks for the replies!! Joy

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,677 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Antonio - Aldaco's ??

an eclectic place..laundrymat, car wash, snack bar, regular bar, playground for the kids all in one...nice selection of beer..I think the bar at one time a mechanic's garage