We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a restaurant for thanksgiving in san antonio

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
a restaurant for thanksgiving in san antonio

I'm looking for recommendations for a nice, family thanksgiving dinner in san antonio. suggestions welcome.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
571 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a restaurant for thanksgiving in san antonio

Numerous restaurants and hotels throughout the city have Thanksgiving dinner. You should call some of the hotels to check their menus. La Mansion Del Rio, Valencia, Westin, and Watermark are some of the hotels you may want to call. The local newspaper has a Weekender section the Friday before Thanksgiving that will list a lot of the Thanksgiving menus along with the pricing. However, some of these places may not have availability if you wait too long so you should probably make reservations.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,425 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a restaurant for thanksgiving in san antonio

Hotels would be my choice too, a little pricey though there usually a good price range (from $15 to $40) a person. If price were not an issue I'd opt for La Mansion.

A little less expensive choice might be Luby's Cafeteria (probably around $10 per person.) Nothing special there, but goo dependable food. Other recommendations along those lines would be Earl Abel's and Hoover's Home Cooking. I don't know their schedules for Thanksgiving. The Weekender or a quick call can solve that.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,642 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a restaurant for thanksgiving in san antonio

It's just me in SA for Thanksgiving, and I am looking at possible places to have dinner. Ordinarily, I don't even think about things like this, but here in LaLaLand (and in other places too sometimes) restaurants don't like to accommodate a single party (double the people, double the profit, I guess). Do you think that would be a problem for the holiday in SA as well? I will start calling this week just to get ideas---the famous hotel on the river (forgive me, I cannot think of the name) is one of my choices, is that a good one?

Thanks and I'll be there in a month! Got my ticket for TReasures of the Vatican too, so I am all set! :)

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,425 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a restaurant for thanksgiving in san antonio

La Mansion is a great choice.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a restaurant for thanksgiving in san antonio

The Holiday Buffets at all of the upscale Hotels in SA are outstanding..There are probably 10 to choose from..Large Hotels can afford to hire Executive Chefs,which make all the difference..Not even at grandmas can you choose between 20 desserts....Kittygal..I am in the Hotel Industry and I think I can speak for most..You are not only welcome as a single,but we will also treat you like a Queen..

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,642 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: a restaurant for thanksgiving in san antonio

Aww shucks! You made me blush!

I am looking at the Mansion del Rio---in the front running so far.

BTW the Buckthorn Saloon---is that the one that everyone kind of (in)famous visited? Pancho Villa, Teddy Roosevelt, Cary Nation? I figure I will have an informal dinner or lunch there sometime during my stay. Is it in the haunted (allegedly, gotta get the legal terms right) hotel?

Last, but not least, here in LaLaLand, the fashions, like the hours for dinner, run the entire spectrum and then some. When do San Antonians usually eat their holiday dinners? (I will still be on PST) In LA it could be noon---or 10pm! And how formal is dining? I love to dress up--here, anytyhing goes (and usually does).

See you all in November. I have wanted to do SA for years---now I finally will! I will also go riding in Bandera, and then head to Rockport after Thanksgiving for a break on the Gulf (which I have never seen), unless Wilma (or Alpha, Beta or whoever comes after her) has other ideas...fingers crossed!

And sorryI hijacked the thread :)

San Antonio
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: a restaurant for thanksgiving in san antonio

You should try Antlers Lodge at the Hyatt Hill Country Resort. Service and food is excellent. I go every year and can't wait to go this year.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: a restaurant for thanksgiving in san antonio

The Buckhorn has been around since 1881, so the possibility of some of those infamous people stopping there in the past is a real possibility. You should take a tour of their museum or ask the local staff for more details. I think you can't go wrong if you dine at Las Canarias at La Mansion del Rio. San Antonio is probably like California in the fact that everyone dresses very casually - probably because it's so hot all the time (except this week! It was 42 this morning!!) Most restaurants are fine with whatever you wear, but you might want to dress a little nicer if you plan on eating at Las Canarias.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,425 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: a restaurant for thanksgiving in san antonio

The bar at the Menger Hotel (right next door to the Alamo) is where Teddy Rosevelt patried!

http://mengerhotel.com/

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,642 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: a restaurant for thanksgiving in san antonio

What's the time for Thanksgiving Dinner in San Antoino? I LA it can be noon---or 10pm---or????