We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Lights on the Riverwalk + Q on river view in hotel

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new orleans
Level Contributor
33 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Lights on the Riverwalk + Q on river view in hotel

I read a couple of posts here that seem to say that, after the Thanksgiving weekend lighting, the holiday lights are on every day.

Then I read in a guidebook that they are only Fri-Sat & Sun.

I am making hotel reservations soon, and this will make a difference in how we schedule.

Can someone clarify for me?

Re hotels: Many people highly recommend staying at a hotel right on the Riverwalk.

If I do this, but don't spring for the riverview room also, might I just as well stay a block or two away and save $$?

Thanks for amy advise offered.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Lights on the Riverwalk + Q on river view in hotel

The lights are on every night the day after thanksgiving, power outages excluded. The guide book must be talking about the "luminarias" (candle bags).

You will same money off the Riverwalk. A couple of blocks can save bucks. If you stay a couple of blocks in or around Alamo Plaza area that would be good. If within your budget I would recommend the Hyatt REGENCY (there are 3 Hyatts downtown) as its both on Alamo Plaza and the Riverwallk. Lots of people watching after dark on Alamo Plaza and makes for a easy walk back to the room.

Just to let you know the drink rules are not the same as NOLA. You cannot take a drink outside from where you bought it. But you can drink in public, you just have to buy from a "take away." There are only a few places left in Texas that have both licenses. None to my knowledge are downtown.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
571 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Lights on the Riverwalk + Q on river view in hotel

The guidebook you read is not correct. The Christmas lights are on daily.

If you plan to spend the majority of your time on the riverwalk I would recommend you spring for a hotel on the riverwalk even if you don't have a riverview because you can't beat the convenience of simply walking out of your hotel and being right on the riverwalk. However, if you plan to spend a lot of time on attractions outside the riverwalk or if there is big difference in cost and you are only a block or two away, the cost probably outweighs the convenience. It really comes down to your personal preferences regarding convenience versus cost.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Lights on the Riverwalk + Q on river view in hotel

The lights are on every day & I agree if you find a good deal on the RW it would be nicer to stay on the RW if not than close by.

Here is the website for Hotel Hot Deals.

www.SanAntonio.com/hotels or www.visitSanAntonio.com click on SAVE then Hotels to find Hot Deals for good rates.

A hotel on the RW that is a great value for you money & has lots of FREE amenities + good location close to the main part but a little away to be more on the quiet side of the RW is the Drury Plaza www.druryhotels.com/properties/alamo.cfm & the Homewood Suites are a good value or Hotel Contessa www.thehotelcontessa.com has some good deals from time to time.

Have a great time wherever you decide to stay, X-mas is a beautiful time on the RW & the downtown area.

new orleans
Level Contributor
33 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Lights on the Riverwalk + Q on river view in hotel

Thanks to all of you for the replies. I reserved the Hilton del Palacio Dec 2-6, RIVERFRONT room.

I just spoke to them, and was advised that I should try to get on floors 5-12, as balcony views of the Riverwalk would be obstructed from others.

And of course getting a particular location is "luck of the draw" on check-in. He also suggested that if we did not get the location we wanted on day #1, we could ask to switch thereafter.

This all sounds like a lot of effort and extra expense with no guarantee of success.

So I gotta ask those of you who know--is it worth all of this? Cause if it is, I will do it!

If not, then my fallback would be the Wyndham St. Anthony, as historic properties (provided they are renovated with creature comforts) appeal to us, and there is a BIG price difference.

Anyone care to weigh in for me?

THANKS!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Lights on the Riverwalk + Q on river view in hotel

They are both great properties to stay at. I guess it all depends on your personal preference or criteria for a great trip. Yes the RW view is very pretty + if you want to be in central location on the RW so it easy to get around in either direction of the RW & for view, if your not gonna be in the room long than it would be wasted for expense wise.

If you are looking for a historic built in 1910 with elegance & charm that is 1 1/2 blocks away from the RW & has been recently renovated than St Anthony would fit.

Honestly you can't go wrong with either just personal preference & criteria.

Have a great visit in wherever you decide on.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,448 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Lights on the Riverwalk + Q on river view in hotel

I think the aerial view will be impressive..I would probably keep your original idea....staying a block or so away is not that different in price if your looking at the same quality type hotel..

I would suggest taking a walk around to the various hotel lobbies to check out their Christmas decorations...Menger is one of my favorites at Christmas time.

Beaumont, Texas USA
Destination Expert
for Beaumont
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Lights on the Riverwalk + Q on river view in hotel

I'll cast a vote for staying at the St Anthony!

It's a beautiful classic hotel within a few minutes of the River Walk. They have a 100th anniversary special with a king or double room for $100 (tax included) through the end of the year. They advertise limited rooms for this deal, so check availability!

Not at that price, but attractive for many are the "double/double" rooms that feature two queen beds and two bathrooms. (And no, I have no connection to this hotel, just really like it, and have for many, many years.)

Whichever place you choose, enjoy your stay in the Alamo City!

8. Re: Christmas Lights on the Riverwalk + Q on river view in hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2010, 06:19