We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do bats fly in October?

Fort Worth,Tx
4 posts
Save Topic
Do bats fly in October?

Ok all you SA experts. My family (husband, 6yr old , 2 yr old) and I are going to visit next weekend and I would like to know if the bat population under the bridge by the SA Art museum is still active. We would love to watch them come out at night. What time do they usually come out, if they are still coming out this time of year? Any other info on fun cheap/free stuff for us to do would be great. (We are going to Lost Maples to check out the fall foliage on Sunday, but Saturday is free.) Thanks!

Beaumont, Texas USA
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do bats fly in October?

I do not reside in San Antonio now, so can't tell you for sure, but in general, most of the adult bat population in Central Texas will have probably migrated south. Fledglings tend to stay and feed until the onset of cool weather in October and November drives them south out of Texas. So, since we have not had a cold snap yet, odds are there will still be bats in residence, just not in the numbers you'd see earlier in the year.

Here in Southeast Texas, several species of bats are year-round residents.

Please come back to the forum after your trip and give us a report on your visit, and include an update on the bats!

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do bats fly in October?

Yes they do & it's active but not as active as before.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,713 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do bats fly in October?

Since bats can't read a calendar :) it really is more up to the weather. So far it's been very warm (today's the exception) so I'd expect to still see some bats.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do bats fly in October?

Just to let you know, you may not find any color @ Lost Maples we have been in a bad drought with a record heat wave this summer.

Bats, I would suggest that you check and see with TPWD if they are still flying out of the bat tunnel, east of Comfort. Not too sure about the bridge.

Dusk

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
19,019 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do bats fly in October?

I also enjoy visiting Garner State Park this time of year.

FYI

To obtain the fall foliage report call (800)792-1112 during business hours or (512)389-4449 any time. Or log on to the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department's foliage report Web portal for daily observations.

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do bats fly in October?

We love Lost Maples and you will have fun hiking no matter what the leaves, but in the years we've gone, we haven't seen good color this early.

To further complicate matters, the drought here in South Texas has been severe...totally unlike the DFW area, where we've visited family and been amazed at the green lawns. Until our recent rains, ours were seriously suffering, even with the allotted once per week watering. Trees that didn't get water, or enough water from sprinklers, began to drop leaves. According to a recent article in the SA News Express, some trees in Lost Maples experienced the same drought trauma ours did. You will still have a wonderful time. It's beautiful there, leaves, color, or no leaves at all and no color. I will still go and hike in Nov, even knowing there will be no color. The views and scenery are magnificent.

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
7. Re: Do bats fly in October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2010, 05:17