We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another School District Question

Grand Rapids, MI
6 posts
Save Topic
Another School District Question

First of all, thank you all for your quick and relevant responses to my many questions about moving to SA. Looks like I will be down your way in 2 weeks or so for a house hunting trip. I am starting to become overwhelmed with trying to figure out where to focus my home search. So, here are a few more questions.

We think we have narrowed our 1st choice down to Guadalupe County outside city limits, due to the lower taxes. As far as school districts in that area, how are Cibolo/Schertz, Judson and New Braunfels schools?

Second question has to do with homes. Any opinions on Armadillo homes? They seem to build at reasonable prices, which is good for us, but my husband wondered about quality. Also, if we wanted to put a pool in, about how much do in ground pools run down there? They are very pricey here up north, but we thought perhaps a little less down south where there is a higher volume of business.

Thanks again for your help.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another School District Question

No info on schools in Bexar county, but Amadillo homes are generally regarded as exemplars of shoddy construction. The Armadillo homes office in Laredo was constant getting sued, and their homes seemed to show lots of wear after a year or two.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,507 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another School District Question

My daughter just started teaching at Barbara Jordan Intermediate (5-6 grade band) sounds pretty typical from what I can gather. I would tend to lean towards Cibolo/Schertz because it's small. I think there is just more accountability in smaller districts (less places for a bad teacher to hide.) Judson has a large population of students fleeing from the inner city schools. They bring some of their problems with them. Judson is also a district where football is king. Both those school districts have a large population of military familles, including retirees. I don't really have any experience with New Braunfels schools.

San Antonio
Level Contributor
577 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Another School District Question

My brother recently bought a home in Schertz near the Retama Park horsetrack for about 140K. They put a pool in the backyard for about 23K. He doesnt have kids but does say the taxes are lower than SA.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Another School District Question

Pool prices vary a lot, but tend to be quite high due to rock at shallow depths-- digging the pool is crazy! Had some recent quotes for average sized pool, nothing too elaborate, around $40K. Pools are much cheaper in Dallas, and even in Illinois, than they are here.