We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to SA

arubabliss
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
1st time to SA

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are looking into visiting San Antonio during Easter week. I was wondering if you could give me suggestions on a few things:

Hotel Recommendations for the Riverwalk Area (we enjoy staying in really nice places that are centerally located, I am not overally concerned with cost as this is an anniversary trip)?

Would 3 days be a good amount of time to shop around and enjoy the city as well as take in the Alamo and Riverwalk?

Any other suggestions on restaurants or things to do would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,575 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time to SA

Here's a repeat of my reply to "First Time"

Poke around these posts - you'll find lots of info.

Here's my take -

Riverwalk, Alamo, King William Area, El Mercado, other Missions - Shopping, dinning, historic, night life - all within walking or "trolley" bus serviceof downtown hotel. Many folks like to stay downtown for this, without a car. Downtown hotels - $100 and up plus $20 parking if you have a car. I don't mind driving, so I would save some on hotel, get one around Airport ($60 or so, free parking) and rent a car.

Zoo, Museums, Botanical Gardens, Mall Shopping, unique Restaurants, night clubs - within SA city limits, can be done using public transportation, but better with car. Again I would choose suburban hotel and rental car.

Sea World, Fiesta Texas, State Parks - Guadalupe River, Pedernalles Falls - Same as above only a little further out.

Natural Bridge Caverns, Boerne Shopping, Gruene Hall, Schilterbahn, Fredicksberg, Wine Trail, Bat Caves, Bandera, Floores Country Story, Luckenbach - All of these are day trips (or partial days) from SA, Some folks create a moving itinerary staying at a few of these places. Definitely need a car.

Austin, Bar-B-Que East of Austin

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,938 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time to SA

With "only" 3 days I would stay downtown and take in the sites along the river and on the trolley routes. There is much to see and do around San Antonio, as Octoboy mentioned, but with a mere 3 days I wouldn't waste a day or 2 using a car to drive to places away from downtown. You can see the Alamo, King William District, enjoy the Riverwalk, take in the Tower of Americas, visit the tourist traps at Alamo Plaza, visit the shops of La Villita, take in a show at the Majestic (possibly, depending upon their schedule), go to the Zoo, Witte Museum, Art Museum, El Mercado, etc., easily filling up 3 days without getting in a car.

To include the many things mentioned by Octoboy I would think you would want to stay 5-7 nights and most definitely need a car.

There are many high end hotels along the river. Hyatt, Marriott, Omni La Mansion, Hilton Palacio del Rio, Watermark, Westin, etc. Just look for the best deal. We like La Mansion because of the old world charm but it is a bit dated. Easter week is very popular with tourists from Mexico so I would book early.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time to SA

If you are coming Easter week reserve now. That week everything nice is filled up with Mexican Nationals and the malls/shopping centers are packed.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time to SA

I agree with 3 days you should stay on the RW. It's such a beautiful & magical place to stay especially for anniversary.

Hotels that are centrally located on the RW that are luxurious is the Westin RW/SA www.westin.com/riverwalk also they heavenly beds so comfy & the accommodations are Texas size & very romantic when you overlook the RW from your balcony + they have a Coffee Maker W/Starbuck coffee & a make up mirror.

Another luxurious with the best Spa with a beautiful balcony as well is the Watermark Hotel & Spa www.watermarkhotel.com also have a fantastic seafood restaurant that's romantic it's the Pesca on the River. has a marble bathroom with a jacuzzi tub & it was voted the 50th best hotel in the country.

If you are looking for luxurious & historic than Omni La Mansion Del Rio is the place it's a 4 star with lots of history & very elegant. + the rooms very renovated in Sept of 2007 also a balcony that's has insulated doors & double pane windows to help keep the noise from the RW it has a marble bath & antique style furnishing & a lovely restaurant for a Sunday champagne brunch it's the Las Canarias.

Also there is the Rivercenter Marriott www.marriott.com/satdt & located in the heart of downtown also has a balcony. & luxurious bedding it's a 4 diamond & open up to the Rivercenter Mall.

As you can see there's several wonderful places to stay that I hope meets your criteria & personal preference. If not ask for more suggestions.

A great place to have dinner may be at the Tower of the Americas with a spectacular view of SA at sunset as the Tower rotates around SA. www.toweroftheamericas.com or Boudro's for guacamole prepared tableside with a prickly pear margarita. www.boudros.com

Here is a website to check out what SA has to offer www.visitSanAntonio.com

What are your interest is it shopping, seeing sites, Historic value or the things what make up SA?????

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time to SA

Here is the website for the La Mansion www.omnilamansion.com

Also on the website www.visitSanAntonio.com click on SAVE for hot deals on hotel rooms or check out this website www.SanAntonio.com/hotels

Before you visit the Alamo www.thealamo.org you may want to see the movie The Price of Freedom at the IMAX www.imax-sa.com

Make sure you take the river ride on the barge with a 35 min narrated tour www.riosanantonio.com & visit the Guenther House to have breakfast or lunch www.guentherhouse.com or visit the Aztec on the River www.aztecontheriver.com also take a stroll in the King William area www.kingwilliamassociation.org or do some Mexican shopping at the El Mercado which is the Market Square www.marketsquaresa.com & have a meal at Mi Tierra www.mitierracafe.com or La Margarita www.lamargarita.com both have great food. You may want to take a tour to visit the missions in SA www.nps.gov/saan if you don't rent a car you may want to visit this website for the tour. www.sanantoniotours.net or www.alamosightseeingtours.com

For some evening fun you could go to Durty Nelly;s at the Hilton Palacio Del Rio & Irish Fun Bar or if you like jazz visit Jim Cullum's Landing at the Hyatt Regency www.landing.com/ or Rita's on the River or Howl at the Moon www.howlatthemoon.com or take a stroll at the Historic Sunset Station with lots of music venue www.sunset-station.com

This is just a few things in the downtown area there are many more as I mention in the above post let us know your interest. Do you like museum, scenery, historic, or fun places.

Sheboygan
Level Contributor
295 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time to SA

We will also be there easter weekend and it is also the womens NCAA weekend . There are special events due to this. You can actually go to the Aladome and watch them practice for Free and they have a parade down the river that includes each team that is competiting. Go to this website for a list of events:

ncaa.com/sports/…w-baskbl-div1-fans.html

arubabliss
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time to SA

Wow! Thanks so much for all the wonderful information. I guess it is true that Texans are some of the nicest people around!!

8. Re: 1st time to SA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2010, 06:18