We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Antonio in Middle of March

CA
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
San Antonio in Middle of March

We are thinking of a long San Antonio weekend in mid-March. I have noticed other posters mention that this is spring break time. Do a lot of students descend on the Riverwalk area for spring break? Also, I know that the weather is unpredictable, but generally is it nice this time of year? Thanks so much for the help.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,507 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Antonio in Middle of March

Not too many. Sringbreakers around here head for the amusement parks, the rivers, Gruene hall, and Schliterbahn. March 15 - 19 are when most folks are out. Remember, though, Spring Break means families are more likely to travel too. So in general, there will be more tourists.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
276 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Antonio in Middle of March

The River Walk could be a bit busier than normal during SB. You should still have fun though. The weather can be unpredictable in March. You could be wearing shorts with a jacket, Jeans work, long sleeve/short sleeve cotton shirts. Comfortable walking shoes

It is tto cold to swim but if you are at a place with a heated pool or an indoor pool, then that should be good

CA
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Antonio in Middle of March

Thanks to both of you for the help. We are looking forward to visiting your city. Maybe waiting until after Easter would be better for weather and crowds.

Edited: 06 February 2010, 18:36
San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Antonio in Middle of March

Waiting until Easter would be a mistake. That is a Mexican week long Holiday and they arrive in SA by the thousands. Hotels will be booked solid, and everything is packed. The retailers here look at as the second Christmas.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Antonio in Middle of March

wesheltonj they said after Easter & not for Easter. After Easter will be ok but on April 15 Fiesta starts & it will be very busy during this time With lots of Fiesta activities going on.

Actually Spring Break isn't to bad in SA since most people go to the coast for Spring Break.

Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
79 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Antonio in Middle of March

When do the vacationers pounce on San Antonio??? The week ending on Easter Sunday April 4th or the week beginning April 4th???? I am goint to San Antonio for an orthopaedic appointment and can flex my appt. date. I am in a leg brace so crowds scare me. Which week will be the worst. I might like to visit week of April 5 - 11th as my daughter is off from school. If that is the wrong week, I will go by myself in late March.

Help please!!!

Thanks

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,507 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Antonio in Middle of March

Spring Break here is March 15 - 19. Week before and after - busy. Of course Easter is April 4, so that weekend is busy. Fiesta is April 16 - 25. Those will be the busiest days.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Antonio in Middle of March

Since your visit is after Easter you should be fine cause before Easter & Easter weekend is busy. After Easter Sunday it's slow down until Fiesta..

Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
79 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Antonio in Middle of March

Octoboy

Thanks for your reply. I guess I just booked myself flights , hotel and appts. during spring break!!!! March 16-18....oh well. I will not be doing any sightseeing so I don't think crowds will be much of an issue other than traffic. Thanks.

Stephcola

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
16,498 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Antonio in Middle of March

Re: Holy week, most of the influx from Mexico head straight for the malls, shopping centers..not so much downtown...I believe many of them have secondary homes or family in Texas they lodge with.

as mentioned, most of the kids are at the amusement parks are just passing through SA to get to/from the coast. .