We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving at the Riverwalk

Katy, Texas
9 posts
Save Topic
Thanksgiving at the Riverwalk

We are spending Thanksgiving weekend at the Hyatt on the Riverwalk. A couple of questions...

1. Any recommendations for dinner in the area? We will be arriving Thursday, late afternoon. Our hotel offers a buffet, but only until 3p. Would prefer holiday buffet, but open to other ideas.

2. What is the Holiday River Parade on Friday night like? Do we need to purchase tickets or can we watch w/o tickets? Can we purchase tickets at the hotel? What areas are best for viewing?

And any other ideas or must do's are welcome.

Thanks!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving at the Riverwalk

1. Read the following post and see if it helps answer your question on where to eat Thanksgiving dinner: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60956-i76-k306632…

2. Here's some information on the Holiday parade: thesanantonioriverwalk.com/Events/index.asp…

They offer reserved seating, but for the most part it's basically folding chairs on the edge of the river. You could watch it from the Arneson River Theatre (if you can get tickets), where the parade will be televised on local tv. A few restaurants have riverside seating available, and you can call places like Boudro's or Rio Rio to find out about that. That might be the best way to go. Have dinner & drinks and watch the floats go right by you. (I'm sure you'll have to pay extra for that priveledge.) Some restaurants have balconies where you could view the parade. You could also try to position yourself on top of a bridge or some other place that's free to watch the parade. It gets pretty crowded down there, so be prepared for that. They expect over 150,000 people downtown for that event! Whew. That's too much for me, but go for it if you don't mind crowds! I'll enjoy the parade from my lazy boy at home. ;-)

Houston
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving at the Riverwalk

Hello,

Just wanted to share our experience last year. Our family (family of four: two adults and two kids)stayed at the Hyatt on the riverwalk for a couple of days for Thanksgiving, had the buffett and also observed the parade on the riverwalk.

The buffett was nice. Food excellent. However, if you decide to see the parade be prepared to spend $20 per person to have a seat outside the Hyatt to watch the parade even if you are spending the night at the hotel. We agreed we did not think it was worth $80 dollars for us to watch it after it was over. Many people (that also paid for seating around us all left early before the parade was over) The parade was okay; but, a little bit of a let down. Nothing too spectacular as far as the floats were concerned. The timing was off too between floats. One or two might pass by; then, it seemed we would have to wait 5 minutes or so for another to pass.

Also, the hotel set us right under the tree and we literally got bird poop on our heads (really gross) two or three times. Everyone was having to put something over their heads to cover up. Hope that helps you make your decision.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
16,783 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving at the Riverwalk

I personally cannot justify spending the extra money for a restaurant riverside view of the parade-been there and done that. Maybe a first time experience would be okay. In any respect, the parade will be televised.

Just remember there will be 100k+ folks meandering around downtown Friday evening.

the hotel should have walk up tickets

If not, contact the Paseo Del Rio Association

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanksgiving at the Riverwalk

OO..Are you listening?..Perhaps hubby can create a parade package with seats included..Set up a portable bar to increase revenue...To me a parade is a parade unless it is Macys or Rose Bowl..San Antonio does have some unique parades during Fiesta though.............

5. Re: Thanksgiving at the Riverwalk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 00:20