We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around in San Antonio

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
23 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around in San Antonio

My husband and I intend to spend 3 days in San Antonio. Is it advisable to have a rented car to get around, or is it better to get around by taxi or some other forms of transportation?

Where is a good area to stay if we keep the car in San Antonio or if we don't keep the car.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,395 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around in San Antonio

Up in the right hand corner you'll see Top questions about SAN ANTONIO. The first topic is titled "Rent a car? Parking?" lots of discussion.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around in San Antonio

It really depends on your agenda..Of course a car offers more freedom..The only concern would be hotel parking downtown ,which will average $15 a night at most downtown hotels..There are no trains here, but you can easily navigate the city by trolley,bus and taxi..You will definitely need a car if you wish to venture outside city limits..

albuquerque
Level Contributor
70 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around in San Antonio

hi

we just came back from san antonio, and we did not rent a car and in my opinion you don't need one, we took a cab ($22.00) from the airport, it dropped us off at our hotel (drury inn and suites) right on the riverwalk, we used the river taxi's ($15.00/24 hours) use it as often as you want, then we also used the trolley ($4.00) ride all day as much as you want, and the bus system will take you all the way out to the missions, japanese gardens, botanical gardens, sea world, and i think 6 flags if you chose to go to any of those places, we did not use the bus system, and i am not sure of the cost but i know its cheap. i think driving and parking in the city would be difficult as there are a lot of one way streets and plus you have to pay to park, i was nervous thinking maybe we should rent a car, but once we were there, i was glad we didn't, san antonio is a very visitor friendly city and public transportation is easy, the riverwalk area is super safe, there is the presence of security everywhere and some i bet you cannot see, so walking in the riverwalk area even at night we felt safe and secure, as always just be aware of your surroundings and enjoy the beauty of the riverwalk, the trees, birds chirpping, good resturants,

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around in San Antonio

If you plan on just doing things in the downtown area than you don't need to rent a car. As santaferosie said there is the trolley/streetcar, river taxi & regular taxi. The cheapest is the trolley/streetcar where you can get a day pass for $4 & you can ride as much as you want in 24 hrs. If you plan to go to Theme Parks, Hill Country, or other activities outside of the downtown area than you would need to rent a car.

You ask where is a good area to keep the car do you mean if you don't want to pay for hotel parking cause the hotels have parking & valet for a price especially on the Riverwalk there are hotels away from Riverwalk that don't charge for parking the car at there hotel..

Edited: 04 May 2010, 06:11
5. Re: Getting around in San Antonio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2010, 04:16