We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Texas Bbq

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
197 posts
453 reviews
Save Topic
Texas Bbq

My friend wants amazing Texas bbq when she visits from Ga in a month! Where should I take her to amaze her?

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
6,486 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Texas Bbq

Try this TA article:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28964-c133560/Texas:…

Personally I like the overall food and experience at Smitty's in Lockhart.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Texas Bbq

City Market in Luling is my personal favorite. They have the best sausage and ribs I have ever had at a restaurant. Gotta have a Big Red to go with the meal too.

Smitty's in Lockhart has the best brisket I have ever eaten in a restaurant, is in a building dating from the late 1800s, and looks like nothing has changed in 110+ years when you go back to the pit to get your meat. I highly highly recommend either of them. I haven't tried Kreuz or Black's in Lockhart though. Many people in South Texas swear by those two places too.

Make sure that east coaster eats it without sauce though. Save the sauce for the bread and the beans.. LOL.

Edited: 14 June 2010, 09:37
Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Texas Bbq

Also, Smitty's is in the building that used to be Kreuz. There was a big family feud that caused Smitty's and Kreuz to be competitors. It's a long story. They even did an episode about it on either The Food Channel or The Travel Channel (can't remember which) where they did a blind taste test. Kreuz just inched Smitty's out.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
6,486 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Texas Bbq

The BBQ at both are great but Smitty's wins for atmosphere...

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,687 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Texas Bbq

My choices first to last, but all are excellent choices. These are shades of perfection and worth a special trip.

Smitty's in Lockhart

Salt Lick Near Austin

City Market in Luling

Coopers in New Braunfels

Kreuz Market in Lockhart

Black's in Lockhart

Luling Bar-B-Que in Luling

Next tier down (Again in order first choice first - where I eat in SA, but probably not worth a special trip.)

Rudy's in Leon Springs or Schertz (originals)

Rudy's in New Braunfels (franchised)

Augies by the Park in San Antinio

BBQ Station in San Antonio

Smoke House (Formerly Bob's) in San Antonio

Bill Millers all over SA - don't really think of it as Bar-B-Que, though I eat there at least once a week and usually get brisket

Mentioned in this post
Austin
Austin
Texas
Leon
Leon
Guanajuato, Mexico
Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
809 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Texas Bbq

I see you are from Victoria. One of my favorite bbq places is right there. Aunt Jo's out on hiway 77. Eat out under the trees. We always stop by there when we are driving through. They are no open every day, tho.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,699 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Texas Bbq

We like the Salt Lick near Austin - fun atmosphere too.

Mentioned in this post
Austin
Austin
Texas
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Texas Bbq

If we want great BBQ near SA we go to Texas Pride it's known for it's mesquite smoked BBQ . www.texaspridebbq.net it's just right outside of SA off of 1604 E.

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
9. Re: Texas Bbq

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2010, 05:18