We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is SA a good anniversary destination?

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Iowa
Level Contributor
125 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Is SA a good anniversary destination?

My wife and I are trying to plan a last minute 20th anniversary trip. We had pretty much settled on Quebec City but are having second thoughts.

We've been looking casually at SA but we're not sure what we'd be in for as we have experience in that part of the country. Any advice would be appreciated.

Some points of reference:

- we like street food

- we like cultural anything

- Sea World is a draw for sure

- We like the outdoors, National parks, etc

- we like discovering urban areas

- quaint shopping areas

We aren't interested in night life, shopping (malls, etc)

We are a bit concerned that the weather may be too hot or humid in mid-September.

Thanks much and cheers!

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,418 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is SA a good anniversary destination?

I don't know much about Quebec City but I'm thinking at the very least the climate is way different. It will still be swimming weather when you come - that can be good or bad depending on your point of view.

Outdoors - head to the rivers. Look at the itinerary posted for San Antonio. It's the only one so far and has some great heat busting spots.

Shopping - as with any city we have shopping from large department stores to tiny art galleries and everything in between. Blue Star, La Villita, Pearl Brewery, Southwest School of Art and Crafts, South Town, are some of the more artsy ones.

Not much street food here except for Raspas. Part of the problem is most want air conditioning when they eat. But there are great local spots especially for Mexican and Bar-B-que.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is SA a good anniversary destination?

SA would be a good choice for a 20th anniversary trip. In mid Sept it should be a little cooler.

SA has lots of street food & cultural things.

SeaWorld is a fun place, lots of national parks nearby & nearby in small quaint little towns are some good shopping.

SeaWorld www.Seaworld.com/SanAntonio

National Park In Johnson City home of our 36th President www.lbjcountry.com

In Boerne you have the Cibolo Nature Center www.visitboerne.org

Take a drive in the Hill Country & visit the small town & Wineries www.texaswinetrail.com

Natural Bridge Caverns www.naturalbridgecaverns.com

Enchanted Spring Ranch for a working dude ranch www.enchantedspringsranch.com also a wester movie set

Go up to Bandera & visit the Cowboy Capital of the World www.banderacowboycapital.com

Lots of cultural & history Visit all (4) of the missions www.nps.gov/saan before visiting the Alamo www.thealamo.org you could also see the movie "Price of Freedom" at the IMAX @ Rivercenter www.imax-sa.com to get a better understanding of the value of the Alamo.

Then you could visit the Institute of Texan Cultures to see how all the cultures came together. www.texancultures.com & also San Fernando Cathedral www.sfcathedral.org

Visit the market square www.marketsquaresa.com for the Mexican culture & grab a bite @ La Margarita www.lamargarita.com or Mi Tierra www.mitierracafe.com

Also you can take a stroll in the King William area with the historic homes that were built in the 1800's www.kingwilliamassociation.org also stop by the Guenther House to have breakfast or lunch www.guentherhouse.com

To get a spectacular view of SA go up the Tower of the Americas www.toweroftheamericas.com also a great place to have drinks or a

fabulous dinner as the tower restaurant rotates around SA.

Also visit the Historic Sunset Station www.sunset-station.com or Aztec on the River www.aztecontheriver.com

Don't forget to take the river tour cruise which is a 35 min narrated historic river cruise. www.riosanantonio.com

I hope this gives you some ideas in what SA has to offer + the surrounding areas. There is lots more this is just a few of the hi-lites of SA.

Any ????? just ask!!!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is SA a good anniversary destination?

San Antonio is pretty good for everything on the list except the outdoors/national parks. It's extremely lacking on that front. If you want an urban area near spectacular parks, San Francisco is probably as good as it gets, being near Yosemite and the Muir Grove.

The food is outstanding here though. Downtown is great to walk around and pop in and out of places whether on street level or the Riverwalk. Also, San Antonio does extremely well balancing being a major city with lots of things to do and still not feeling like too big (e.g., the traffic isn't a nightmare like cities such as Los Angeles or Houston, the people are pretty friendly, the area's not too expensive, etc.).

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is SA a good anniversary destination?

If you have the time and don't mind a 6 hour drive, you could do Big Bend National Park from San Antonio as a side trip though. Maybe stay a night or two in the hotel in Chisos Basin and then head back to SA. It's world-class scenery and great for spotting wildlife such as black bears, javelinas, deer, a ton of different species of birds, and so on.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is SA a good anniversary destination?

Although I now reside in San Antonio,I have visited and lived in many others...San Antonio would be a decent choice,but there are better..San Francisco San Diego,Boston,Key West,NYC,Vancouver,and Cozumel to name a few...

Level Contributor
101 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is SA a good anniversary destination?

Before 2009, it was humid and warm up to December we could be wearing shorts on Christmas. But last year, winds changed and it went back to the cool weather. Hopefully, it will be like that this Sept. You should look into the Hilton Palacio Del Rio, the hotel is on the riverwalk and has some balconies, at night it looks nice to be sitting there enjoying the riverwalk view with that special someone. I always say during the day you can walk through the riverwalk but at night riding the riverbarges is nice with all the lights. I hear you can dine and cruise on some, but don't know the price.(www.riosanantonio.com) You and your spouse and get on one of the horse carriages around town. There's a helicopter tour (alamohelicoptertours.com) to see the city. National parks or lakes are a drive away, I've been told Garner State park is nice, but you can go to Canyon lake or Medina Lake. We like to go to Corpus,( about 2 1/2 hrs(depends on how fast you go!) San Antonio has a pretty good variety of food places is just picking which one you'd like to try-Chinese, Italian, Mexican, BBQ you name it. So it seems weather could be your decision maker?!

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is SA a good anniversary destination?

I think most folks would prefer to have you come to SA to spend your time and money. Its still going to be hot here and Quebec City should be much cooler. You came easly headup to the Mountains from QC. QC old town is quite compact and can do it in a full day. Getting there unless you are flying in direct is not very easy. If you are taking the train from Montreal, you will arrive in the lower town and can be a pain if you are staying in the upper town.

There is more to do here, but if you want a cooler venue with a Europe favor and prices QC is great. Just make sure you stay within the city wall and not outside.

Level Contributor
101 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is SA a good anniversary destination?

If I wanted people to come spend their money here I'd be getting paid $$$ bringing in people to San Antonio! There's alot for couples to do here but the weather is hard to tell. Quebec City looks nice too, it's just about guiding or informing the person about a place they might be interested in.

Texas
Level Contributor
126 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is SA a good anniversary destination?

It is said that every Texan has two hometowns, the one where they were born and San Antonio. Come make San Antonio your hometown too. From your post I think you will love San Antonio. It may be hot but we do have AC. Try the RiverWalk as a place to stay. If you like historic hotels I recommend the Guenther or the Menger. The St. Anthony is also wonderful. I highly recommend the Menger. At least go there for lunch or a drink at the Menger Bar. The Hilton Paseo del Rio is a great place, even if the rooms are a little small by todays standards, it was built for HemisFair in 1968 but is a premier location on the RiverWalk. There are also several new hotels like the Grand Hyatt if that is what you like.

Please be sure to try the shrimp nachos at Rosario's on South Alamo just a short walk south of downtown. It's also the gateway to Southtown and be sure to have a margarita.

After your visit to San Antonio, you, too, will have another hometown.

10. Re: Is SA a good anniversary destination?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2011, 08:37