We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tex Mex and BBQ Restaurants in San Antonio

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
wi
Level Contributor
5 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Tex Mex and BBQ Restaurants in San Antonio

I will be in San Antonio at the end of October. Originally from Texas but now in Wisconsin, I am looking for suggestions on restaurants to satisfy my need for some great Texas BBQ (I know everyone will probably have a different opinion on this) and Tex Mex food to go along with the Shiners I plan to have. Although I will be staying near the Riverwalk, I will have a car and do not mind driving for a good meal. Thanks for your help.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,425 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tex Mex and BBQ Restaurants in San Antonio

Mexican - My choices first to last, but all are excellent choices. These are shades of perfection and worth a special trip.

El Chaparral http://www.elchaparral.com/ best fajitas, dine after 5pm and you get a fantastic bean soup with your meal, they also have some of the best refried beans.

Picante Grill - Unique dishes including grilled items and Huitlacoche soup and casserole - try something different here.

Teka Molino- fresh ground masa deep fried shells and cups; great breakfast tacos.

Next tier down (Again in order first choice first - where I eat if I'm nearby, but probably not worth a special trip.)

Taco Haven - unique shredded chicken taco with cabbage and lemon plus standard Tex-Mex fare.

Los Barrios - enchiladas featured on the Food network.

Rosarios - Near downtown

Taco Taco - El Norteno Taco

Tito's - Chicken and Guacamole Taco

La Fogata - Mexican, great margaritas and a great patio.

Mi Tierra's - Love the atmosphere

Martha's

Bar B Que - My choices first to last, but all are excellent choices. These are shades of perfection and worth a special trip.

Smitty's in Lockhart

Salt Lick Near Austin

City Market in Luling

Coopers in New Braunfels

Kreuz Market in Lockhart

Black's in Lockhart

Luling Bar-B-Que in Luling

Next tier down (Again in order first choice first - where I eat in SA, but probably not worth a special trip.)

Rudy's in Leon Springs or Schertz (originals)

Rudy's in New Braunfels (franchised)

Augies by the Park in San Antinio

BBQ Station in San Antonio

Smoke House (Formerly Bob's) in San Antonio

Two Brothers

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tex Mex and BBQ Restaurants in San Antonio

You are right about BBQ

my choices are no no order (I eat at Rudys alot as its close to home)

The Smokehouse, was Bobs. Warning there is a new joint now called Bobs its not the same. The smokehouse is the only place in town that list in the Texas Monthly top 50 in Texas.

Old Smokehouse was Bobs #3

Rudy's in Leon Springs Ask for moist

Tex-mex in no order

Martha's

El Chaparral

Teka Molino

Pico de Galllo

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tex Mex and BBQ Restaurants in San Antonio

You have gotten some good suggestions from Octoboy.

I totally agree about El Chaparral very good food & worth a drive.

Los Barrios www.losbarrios1.com or www.lhdlb.com also very good.

Piedras Negras @ 1312 S. Laredo you also have Mi Tierra in the Market Square www.mitierracafe.com or La Margarita www.lamargarita.com

To get excellent BBQ you'll have to take at least a 45 min drive but if you are looking for something close by that has very good BBQ you may want to check out Texas Pride BBQ www.texaspridebbq.net it's about a 25 min drive from the downtown area. We like to go here when we don't feel like driving to Elgin or Lulling.

wi
Level Contributor
5 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tex Mex and BBQ Restaurants in San Antonio

Thanks to all who posted with a response. There are a lot of suggestions and I hope to hit as many as I can. I appreciate it...

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tex Mex and BBQ Restaurants in San Antonio

City Market up in Luling is the best I have ever had for BBQ. Their brisket is incredible; tender and of such high quality that you'd never dream of putting sauce on it. Their sausage is the best I have ever had. Strong smoky flavor with quite a bit of grease, but not in a bad way (I can't believe I'm typing that, as I normally hate greasy stuff, but City Market sausage is unbelievable). The flavor is so good you'll be tempted to eat the ties the sausage is held together with, no joke. The ribs are good enough on their own to justify the 60 mile trip from SA, and they're only the third best meat there. Even though I live here in San Antonio, I regularly make the commute to City Market. As a tourist in the area for maybe the only time, no way I would ever pass it up.

Smitty's in Lockhart is another outstanding place. I think their brisket actually is a (tiny) bit better than City Market's even, though their sausage and ribs aren't nearly as good. If all you want is brisket, Smitty's is my #1. City Market moves out to a decisive lead if you want ribs and/or sausage in addition to A++ brisket. Neither is anything special on sides like beans or potato salad though. The meat is definitely the star.

Edited: 14 October 2010, 17:37
6. Re: Tex Mex and BBQ Restaurants in San Antonio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2011, 05:18