We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

romantic restaurant downtown

uvalde
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
romantic restaurant downtown

looking for romantic restaurant to celebrate my anniversary. desperately need suggestions.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: romantic restaurant downtown

There are some newer ones,like Citrus at Hotel Valencia,but I like the classics,Grey Moss Inn(my fave),and if you prefer a shorter ride and Riverwalk,Little Rhein/Fig Tree...Has anyone dined at the old La Louisiane??

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: romantic restaurant downtown

What about Le Reve? We are looking too, anniversary this Wednesday, and we haven't really been around that much restaurant-wise since moving here earlier this year. I love Pesca in the Watermark, but have already tried that and want something new...if there is something better!

Grey Moss is too far for us to go...we ate there years and years ago when DH was here on business and really enjoyed it, but we live waaaaay across town, Garden Ridge, and I feel like I'd need to pack a suitcase to get over there. :) Downtown is better for us too.

Any reviews for Le Reve? Other suggestions?

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: romantic restaurant downtown

When is your anniversary icehouse? For lack of better (any?) suggestions, I guess we'll try Le Reve. I'll let you know how it was icehouse if yours follows ours. Happy Anniversary...:)

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: romantic restaurant downtown

Sorry, 1Life2Live...I didn't mean to discount your suggestions! I was thinking "Grey Moss", but you mentioned others as well. I like Grey Moss too, so pretty, but just too far to go on a Wednesday evening. Little Rhein is primarily steak, yes?

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: romantic restaurant downtown

Their forte is steaks,but as with any fine steak restaurant,they offer a few other menu items..I ate there years ago,and as you know from your husband being in the biz,a lot can change..New owners,Chef's,wait staff..If your hubby is like me,My experience follows through,from the parking lot,building and landscaping,greeting,bathrooms,food,service,ambience,etc. Please let me know about your experience at La Reve..Did you consider my Valencia suggestion..The whole Hotel is Romantic..Happy Anniversary to you all!!!!

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: romantic restaurant downtown

1life2live...thank you for your reply! I had not heard of Citrus before (which, as I'm new, means nothing!), but just looked at their menu and it's good. We will definitely try it one evening. I hear good things about that hotel so would like to see it.

I am thinking now we will do Le Reve this time, although I just looked at their tasting menu and at $135 pp, had to gulp. That looks like a lot of food though, and I doubt I could do it justice, so probably will order off the regular menu. Hopefully it will measure up as well as the tasting menu does. I'll let you know.

The entire experience certainly is what makes the evening, start to finish. In the hotel, DH has emphasized to staff that if things go wrong from the get go at the front desk you can guarantee it will only get worse from that point on in the guest's mind. One absolutely terrible review of le reve was from someone who never even got in...it was the attitude they received on the phone trying to make reservations. And from that...they'll never try again. Glub...!

Thank you for the anniversary wishes. 37 years ago we had chicken-fried steak with white gravy, accompanied by icky canned peas at a diner in rural someplace NC, as we drove off into the sunset from Norfolk for a Key West honeymoon, in my little MGB packed to the gills, as we were moving at the same time. This is bound to be an improvement!! :)

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: romantic restaurant downtown

Citrus at Hotel Valencia is very romantic, and the food is exceptional. They have a diverse menu with Texas specialties such as quail or venison. Another couple was there for their anniversary, and the wait staff covered their table with rose pedals, which was a very nice touch. I've never eaten at Grey Moss, but I know that many people highly recommend it. Another restaurant that I want to try is Silo: tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60956-d43…

SA Tx
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: romantic restaurant downtown

Try the Lodge in Castle Hills

Laurinburg, NC
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: romantic restaurant downtown

I will be visiting SA in early March for the first time. Staying at Westin on Riverwalk and need dining reservations for four up-scale. We have a Morton's in Charlotte that I have tried so want something different. The piano/jazz mentioned at both Polo's and Aldo's caught my attention as we love music along with fine steak and seafood with a great bottle of Cab. Any experience at either of these? Atmosphere is important but food quality/presentation/service is more critical for us. Walking distance would be good but I'll grab a cab if we need to travel for a better meal. Three nights to plan for so I'm game for some variety and risk one night but I want a "sure thing" at least one night.

Get answers to your questions about San Antonio