We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Antonio recommendations for spring break family trip

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas
Level Contributor
206 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
San Antonio recommendations for spring break family trip

We are heading to SA for Spring Break in March with our kids (13 &11) and another family. We are staying at the Hyatt Hill Country. We are looking forward to the resort and it's pools and we are praying for warm weather and heated pools:)

We are planning on going to Sea World , Alamo, and Six Flags Fiesta Texas. We are really looking foward to seeing the river walk as well.

We hope to spend a lot of time at the resort relaxing, but would like any other recommmendations as well.

Also we would love some good recommendations for places to eat. We are especially looking for Mexican and BBQ around the river walk area or the area around our resort.

Thanks for any and all replies!

CSBM

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,198 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Antonio recommendations for spring break family trip

You will have a Rudy's very close to where you are staying, Its not the origional but good enough. The origional is an easy drive from Fiesta Texas.

I think your pools are going to to too cold to swim in March

Kansas
Level Contributor
206 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Antonio recommendations for spring break family trip

What about some recommendations for Mexican places either around our resort area or down on the River Walk?

Any advice about what day (monday -friday) would be the best day to hit Sea World during Spring Break week? March 14-19

Thanks so much!

CSBM

San Antonio
Level Contributor
258 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Antonio recommendations for spring break family trip

I'm not too familiar with Mexican restaurants out by your resort, but I do not recommend eating Mexican on the riverwalk. Mi Tierra is in Market Square downtown, not too far from the Riverwalk and would be a much better choice. The atmosphere is fun and the margaritas are great.

Your dates are the same as pretty much all local schools have spring break. That pretty much means it will be packed the whole time. Not trying to be Debbie Downer, but just to set realistic expectations. I'd suggest going midweek (T, W, Th), and the crowds might be *slightly* lower. Go really early in the day, arriving before opening. Buy tickets in advance as the lines to purchase will be daunting.

If I'm not mistaken, the pools at the Hyatt Hill Country are not heated. Double check with the resort. If they're not, swimming isn't likely. The water will be COLD. Weather that week could go either way. Some years it's gorgeous, some freezing. Check the weather before you leave, but I recommend packing at least a little for both.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Antonio recommendations for spring break family trip

Mi Tierra is outstanding. It's near the Historic Market Square W of River Walk. Be sure to visit the market.

Mi Tierra Cafe and Bakery @ 218 Produce Row, San Antonio, TX 210 - 225 - 1262.

http://www.mitierracafe.com/home.html

Historic Market Square @ 514 W. Commerce, San Antonio, Texas 210 - 207 - 8600.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/dtops/marketsquare/

Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Antonio recommendations for spring break family trip

Hello, just wanted to put my 2 cents about a very good Mexican Restaurant. It's called Mamacitas. The food there is very, very good and very good prices as well. They also have awesome margarita's! They are located off of Interstate 10. You could probably stop there on your way back from Fiesta Texas.....You won't be disappointed.

http://www.mamacitas.com/

Edited: 06 February 2011, 02:11
Kansas
Level Contributor
206 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Antonio recommendations for spring break family trip

Thanks for all the suggestions! I really appreciate it.

I will defintely try those places, already looking them up online:)

Any advice or suggestions on how to make the day at Sea World enjoyable. We will try to get there early indeed! I realize it will be busy due to the fact it is also Spring Break time in the area as well.

CSBM

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Antonio recommendations for spring break family trip

Some good Mexican Food Places near where you are staying.

El Chaparral www.elchaparral.com

La Hacienda De Los barrios www.lhdlb.com

In the Market Square you also have La Margarita www.lamargarita.com

Another good place for BBQ you have County Line BBQ there is 1 on the RW & also on the north side on I-10 W.

If you are looking for good BBQ in the nearby area that may be a 25 mile drive you have Texas Pride BBQ www.texaspridebbq.net

Kansas
Level Contributor
206 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Antonio recommendations for spring break family trip

Thanks for all the great advice! I did call the hotel (Hyatt Hill Country) and they said they heat the pools through April. That is great news to someone who has seen more snow than they care to this winter! Bring on Spring Break.

CSBM

San Antonio
Level Contributor
258 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Antonio recommendations for spring break family trip

Thanks for posting about the heated pools. I did not know that. But what great news for you! As long as the weather is decent (really good chance), you can take advantage of the pool and lazy river! And hey-- I may not be willing to swim if it's 78 degrees, but I bet you will be.

Have a great time!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
296 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Antonio recommendations for spring break family trip

There are not that many restaurants in the immediate vicinity of the resort. Here are some TexMex restaurants along 410/Hwy 151 (less than 10 minute drive from where you'll be staying):

1. Cha Cha's (on Bandera)

2. Casa Real (on Ingram)