We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Antonio or Austin TX

Alexandria VA
Level Contributor
48 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
San Antonio or Austin TX

We're planning a trip to Texas in mid April for 4-5 days. Can't decide whether to go to Austin or San Antonio? My husband loves history and my 17yo really liked our visit to Boston last year. Any suggestions?

PA
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: San Antonio or Austin TX

I am actually planning the same thing around the same time and decided to go to both cities. There are an hour apart by car so I figured why not. From what I hear a couple days is really all you need to see both places on the surface. I suppose if you want to see more government and Texas history Austin would be more your thing but San Antonio is filled with the kind of history we love - mexicana history and the Spanish style architecture is really our thing too. I am taking the detour to Austin mainly for the out door activities - lady Bird Lake, bike trails, Barton Springs and hiking!! Try getting the Moon Austin book - great way to navigate that whole area in Texas!

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,818 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Antonio or Austin TX

Austin is my favorite Texas city but,

More history in San Antonio, of course...Alamo, Spanish Missions, etc. Austin is only an hour away. I would stay in San Antonio, and if Austin interests you, make a day trip.

Austin is a college town with an eclectic vibe, lotsa great live music and dining opportunities. San Antonio is more walkable and definitely touristy.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Antonio or Austin TX

From the information you provide, there's no good answer to your question. Boston is a big city which appeals to many interests. SA and Austin each have much history. The cities are only 80 miles apart, so maybe visit each of them

San Antonio
Level Contributor
270 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Antonio or Austin TX

Austin is my favorite city in Texas, too. However, unless you're looking for more outdoor activities--which are outstanding in Austin- I find it's more geared to adults than kids/teens.

Honestly, I'd probably do 3 nights in San Antonio and 1-2 in Austin. 3 days in San Antonio is more than ample, IMO.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,804 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Antonio or Austin TX

I live in Austin and I vote that you go to San Antonio. Every single tourist venue and a mall with a food court and shops and restaurants are all in the downtown location. No shortage of hotels/motels and $1 trolley going in all directions and to the Market Place which is another world of it's own. The queen of the trip downtown is the infamous riverwalk. There is also a narrated boat trip down the river. San A. has made sure that the landscaping all over the river route is gorgeous. There are also sidewalks right along the river and sidewalk bars, shops and restaurants everywhere. No car needed for any of this. Go to Flickr and search San Antonio Riverwalk and see the beauty. Lots of big nightclubs all in this area. I'm 67 (F) & I love S.Ant.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Antonio or Austin TX

I like the previous commenters idea of staying a few nights in each city. When in SA you have to go to the Riverwalk. Just gotta. The Alamo is a little underwhelming to some, just depends on the person. And of course SA has the themeparks, you'll have to check in advance to see when they are open - they aren't year round.

In Austin, there is the state Capitol, you'll also have to check in advance to see when tours are available due to congress being in session. (we went once when one of my children was 2 yrs old, she ran into the roped off section into the chamber and threw up on the carpet lol).

Driving can be a hassle. The freeways in SA seem to have been under constant construction since 1982. The Interstate going through Austin can be a nightmare. Try to stay off the freeways during rush hour(s).

Both cities have fantastic places to eat that aren't part of national chains. Austin has something like 3000 restaurants.

Hope this helps... I could write pages.

PA
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: San Antonio or Austin TX

Thanks for the input on the traffic issues! If we stay in SA with no car, is there a way to take a day trip to Austin?

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,818 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Antonio or Austin TX

In Texas, the car (or pickup) is king. Public transportation is not comparable to the east coast. You could take the bus from downtown San Antonio to Austin but would then need to use taxis to navigate Austin. You will see more and save more time by renting a car for the day, and it will probably not be much more expensive.

Alexandria VA
Level Contributor
48 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Antonio or Austin TX

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. This is the first time I've posted a question on Trip Advisor & the response was great.

We'll probably go with the advice of 2 nights in SA & 2 nights in Austin.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Antonio or Austin TX

SA has a lot to offer for history & lots to see in the downtown area without a car.

www.visitSanAntonio.com