We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas vacation things to do

usa
Level Contributor
223 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Xmas vacation things to do

We will be bringing our boys 10 & 14 to SA for Xmas vacation. Where should we stay the first night near the airport? Clean and comfortable but doesn't need to be fancy. The next morning we will drive to the YO Ranch for 3 days of hunting. Anything to do in that area or along the way? We will then return to SA for 3 days including NY Eve. We will be staying on the River Walk. Would appreciate recommendations of things to do, places to eat, and any special holiday activities going on. My boys love to eat so any fun snack spots would also be appreciated. thanks. Any coupon books for SA? Thanks so much

Round Rock, Texas
Level Contributor
140 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xmas vacation things to do

Depending on the timing of your flight, I might recommend getting a hotel for the first night vaguely near the airport or on the north side of town, so you don't have to backtrack the next morning as you head out west to the YO Ranch. There are quite a few decent, but not fancy, hotels in that area.

On your drive out to the YO Ranch, you might stop in Leon Springs at Rudy's BBQ. It's not the best BBQ in the state, but it's been tasty & a fun experience each time I've visited.

For other things to do, I think Six Flags usually has some kind of "holiday in the park" activities, which would probably be perfect for 10 & 14 year old boys. I think Sea World does something similar. Either would require driving back north from your hotel on the Riverwalk, though, but it's not really that far.

There are lots of things to do in & near downtown -- read the rest of the forum and check out reviews for ideas. The one that comes to mind (for 10/14 year olds) would be the IMAX theatre that is just a few blocks from the Alamo.

The Alamo Bowl is December 29th this year. I've been in San Antonio once or twice for it. The Riverwalk area will be extra crowded that day, but it's usually a fun atmosphere with everybody cheering on their team. Even if it's not your team, you can usually pick up tickets to the game for a fair price.

For things to eat - Tex Mex is obvious. But, I'll give you the same tip I give every friend who goes to SA: do not eat all your meals (or even any of your meals...) on the Riverwalk. You'll get better food & service elsewhere.

Enjoy your trip!

Becky

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,449 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xmas vacation things to do

After hunting, lots of the fun things in SA are going to seem lame to teen age boys. Caves might work:

Just north of SA on I-35 you'll find Natural Bridge Caverns http://www.naturalbridgecaverns.com/ In addition to being one of the biggest caves in Texas, this is a great family sport with well developed trails and lots of activities including a more physical tour that includes repelling. There's panning for gem stones and a drive-through wildlife park.

In Boerne you'll find The Cave Without a Name. This is a more remote and less touristy alternative. The guides are very knowledgeable and obviously passionate about educating folks. You're apt to get a more personal tour here, on many occasions we've been the only folks on the tour.

Just South of Boerne is Cascade Caverns http://www.cascadecaverns.com/ with an underground waterfall. The facilities here are a little worn.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Xmas vacation things to do

Witte Museum may be of some interest for them. www.wittemuseum.org

Fiesta TX is a fun thing to do. www.sixflags.com/fiestatexas

Mi Tierra www.mitierracafe.com in the Market Square www.marketsquaresa.com could be fun.

Taking the 35 min narrated river cruise could be fun. www.riosanantonio.com

If you stay @ the Drury's then you would have FREE snacks in the afternoon & other FREE amenities which is a great value for your money. www.druryhotels.com/properties/alamo.cfm

To find FREE stuff + discount & coupons for things to see in SA then check out this website & click on SAVE www.visitSanAntonio.com/SAVE

They may also enjoy doing a Ghost & Legend tour at night. www.ghostseekersofTexas.com or www.SATXGhosttour.com

Have Fun Planning your trip any ???? just ask.

Have a great time in SA & please write a TR to let us know how it went & what your boys enjoyed doing in SA.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,850 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Xmas vacation things to do

taking I-10 to/from Kerrville thereis a Bass Pro shop at loop 1604-the Rim Shopping Center(in Buda Tx towards Austin is Cabelo's). Plus, IMAX and regular cinema at the Rim

on I-10 at Leon Springs exit is Rudy's BBQ...a mix of a gas station and BBQ joint...meat is served on butcher paper

www.rudys.com

off I-10 outside of Boerne is Po-Po's restaurant..home cooking since 1929

http://www.poporestaurant.com/Directions.htm

http://www.daveandbusters.com/

there is a Dave and Buster's location at I-10 and loop 410

http://www.cavewithoutaname.com/

SA Zoo will be open on Christmas Day

"Shipwreck!: Pirates and Treasure" exhibit at Witte Museum

Edited: 23 September 2011, 09:23
usa
Level Contributor
223 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Xmas vacation things to do

OMG!! Thank you so much for all of the great ideas!! Can anyone recommend a specific hotel near the airport for the night we spend b4 heading to the YO? Is there a Drury hotel in that direction? Thanks

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,850 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Xmas vacation things to do

one suggestion is to go ahead and trek over to I-10 Drury at Wurzbach..barely 15mins from the airport..simply get on loop 410 West at airport and take I-10 West-El Paso....it will then be the first exit..take the exit and go to traffic light and go left under I-10. A handful of restaurants in walking distance...this will give you a small headstart in the a.m and headed out towards Kerrville....and even better is avoiding the notorious traffic on loop 410 ...another benefit is there is a HEB grocery store kiddie corner so you can pick up any supplies for your day trip

restuarants include Sea Island, County Line BBQ, Pappasitos. Mama Margies Tex Mex etc

enjoy

(also wanted to mention that there is a Cabello's past San Marcos on the way to Austin in Buda, TX..about 50 mins from SA)

Edited: 25 September 2011, 19:49
Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Xmas vacation things to do

Doubletree Hotel @410 and MCcullough...Fine Hotel,great location(across from Mall) and 1 exit from the airport...

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Xmas vacation things to do

Yes there is a Drury hotel & Pear Tree which is part of the Drury group.

www.druryhotels.com

Also tejashombre has given you a great suggestion that may help out in the am when you plan to leave so you won't have to fight the morning traffic also it depends on when you plan to leave.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Xmas vacation things to do

Has anyone attended the Sentimental Journey Orchestra New Year's Eve event at the Inn of the Hills in Kerrville, TX? Thinking about going this year and staying at the Y.O. Ranch Resort.

Any comments appreciated.

10. Re: Xmas vacation things to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 23:17