We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental from San Antonio to Austin

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental from San Antonio to Austin

Hi there, visiting next month and need transportation from San Antonio to Austin. From reading here, it looks like there is no train, but there is a bus route or we can rent a car. We'd prefer the car rental option but don't want to have to take a cab back to SAT airport to pick up then spend time and money in another cab to drop off the car in AUS (we'll be at the riverwalk in SAT and downtown AUS and don't want a car while at either place). So, I called Enterprise because they pick you up! $45/day car rental is really reasonable but they charge a $150 drop fee! Yikes! so $227 for a 6 hour max rental (that's if we decide to stop and poke around along the way). The reservationist said most car rentals will charge that drop fee. So, before I start calling every car rental agency in the phone book, does anyone know of an off airport car rental company that won't charge us a one-way drop fee? Thanks for any information.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
6,971 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental from San Antonio to Austin

I ran a dummy reservation through Priceline for a one way rental San Antonio to Austin and received an offer through Avis for a full size sedan for $60 including taxes.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental from San Antonio to Austin

That's a good price but I'd still have the inconvenience and cab costs associated with going to both airports. Do any of the agencies besides Enterprise rent off airport?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,280 posts
499 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental from San Antonio to Austin

Hertz has some off airport sites and if you are a AAA member can get good rates. We picked up a car in San Antonio in Feb. and dropped it off in Houston.

Good luck.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
6,971 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental from San Antonio to Austin

There are 2 downtown Avis locations for Priceline pickup in San Antonio.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental from San Antonio to Austin

Thank you! Hertz does not have a drop charge and has locations less than a mile from each of the hotels we are staying at - winner! Price without searching for CDP and PC codes is $130 but I'm pretty sure I can beat that down.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental from San Antonio to Austin

Oh, I didn't see your follow-up, Gehrig. I'll check that out, too!

Edited: 24 September 2011, 17:53
Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental from San Antonio to Austin

Yup, looks like we can even walk from the Grand Haytt to Bonham St.for the Avis pick-up and from I-35 & 11th street to the hotel downtown Austin and the price is (as Gehrig suggested) under $60 for a full-size! That's booking direct through Avis with no codes. Thanks so much for your input, really appreciate it!

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
19,657 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental from San Antonio to Austin

offhand, you can check Advantage RAC..they are SA based..I have no idea about their drop off policy/rate

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
6,971 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental from San Antonio to Austin

Enjoy your visit.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental from San Antonio to Austin

Gehrig is usually spot on with good info & very helpful.

I'm glad to see you where able to get a good rate for a car to drive to Austin that is close to the hotels.