We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A whistle stop tour of San Antonio and Fort Worth

Bluffton, South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
A whistle stop tour of San Antonio and Fort Worth

Hi I'm new to this forum and wondered if anyone had any advice with regard to our visit to SA. We are from Scotland originally however I'm working in the US for a wee while so we are trying to see as much of the US during our time state side

My wife, 10yr old son and myself are flying to SA beginning of Apr for 3 days then driving up to Fort Worth for a long weekend then fly back to DC. I have been to SA some years back for 2 nights with a few guy's on a road trip. My family have never been, I would like them to see the river walk, Alamo and then Sea world (which none of us have been to.) I'm planning on getting the hire car from the airport SAT then keeping it until I drop it off at DFW, however it looks like parking by the river walk is expensive. I'm trying to do this trip on a budget so using AA miles and Marriott points for stay's. I have spent some time in DFW so that side of the trip is easy. Sounds like a plan to me however for you SA locals am I missing anything, I'm not 100% decided on Marriott points if a better solution can be found then I would stay at other hotels, I guess as a platinum MR member I'm just used to staying there for the upgrades and lounges.

Many Thanks in advance

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,963 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A whistle stop tour of San Antonio and Fort Worth

What if you wait to get the rental car until the third day and pick it up downtown? That would save some fees and parking. Except for your trip out to Sea World, the car would most likely sit unused while you explore downtown SA.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A whistle stop tour of San Antonio and Fort Worth

Poodleone has a good point. You could take a cab to downtown ($25) from the airport, easily spend a couple days roaming the Riverwalk, Alamo, museums, etc. and on day 3 pick up the rental. Drive out to Sea World, enjoy the day, and park that night at a city lot $10/12 hrs. Be saving a good 50 bucks if not more in parking plus an airport pick up of a rental will be more expensive than downtown.

As you have probably researched there are a bunch of Marriott properties on and around the Riverwalk area.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A whistle stop tour of San Antonio and Fort Worth

If you stay in the downtown area but like the Market Square area which is a few blocks from the RW you wouldn't have to pay for parking.

Courtyard By Marriott Market Square www.courtyarddowntownmarketsquare.com

Fairfield's Inn & Suites Downtown Market Square www.marriott.com/satfi

Residence Inn Marriott Downtown Market Square www.marriott.com/satri

I'm guessing that they are part of the points since they are own by Marriott.

Bluffton, South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A whistle stop tour of San Antonio and Fort Worth

Many thanks a few things to think about

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A whistle stop tour of San Antonio and Fort Worth

I'm not sure I understand the reason for going to Fort Worth during this trip. That drive will take at least 5 hours.

Not sure of the exact dates but Hotwire April 12-15 3 1/2 stars Riverwalk North and Alamo area hotel $69; 3 star Six Flags area $52

6. Re: A whistle stop tour of San Antonio and Fort Worth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2014, 15:51
Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A whistle stop tour of San Antonio and Fort Worth

Impressive blog Dr. Denise. Enjoyed perusing and will be back to read more. Thanks...

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A whistle stop tour of San Antonio and Fort Worth

Denise that is a fantastic blog & a great guide for people visiting SA to get an understanding of the places.

San Antonio, Texas...
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A whistle stop tour of San Antonio and Fort Worth

Gehrig, Thanks for checking out my blog! My best friend lives in Corpus, and it's one of my favorite places to visit. Cheers, Denise

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,963 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A whistle stop tour of San Antonio and Fort Worth

Coulld one of the DE's add the link to this blog to the SA iteneraries list?

Get answers to your questions about San Antonio