We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Antonio vs. Moody Gardens

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
91 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
San Antonio vs. Moody Gardens

Hi! I am planning a vacation this summer, and we have finally decided on a beach vacation. The problem is my 4 year old daughter has her heart set on going to Sea World. My question is, is Moody Gardens comparable to Sea World as far as the aquarium goes? I am considering stopping in San antonio for a couple of days or trying to find someplace coastal that offers something similar. Any ideas? Also, is we decide to go to Sea World, what is the recommended beach to go to from there? I appreciate all comments/suggestions. Thanks!

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
17,360 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Antonio vs. Moody Gardens

My sources tell me that Sea World is better....

at the least comparable...no need to drive all the way to the coast just for an aquarium visit...plus, he can feed the dolphins in person at Sea World, see the Clydesdale horses, live aligators etc

Edited: 24 January 2012, 20:46
knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,267 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Antonio vs. Moody Gardens

Seaworld.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,960 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Antonio vs. Moody Gardens

If you want a beach destination in combination with Sea World San Antonio the nearest beaches are Corpus Christi/Port Aransas, a 2.5 hour drive south via Interstate 37. We have done Sea World from here as a day trip although I don't recommend because the drive home is no fun after a long day at the theme park.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,580 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Antonio vs. Moody Gardens

+1 for Gehrig's suggestion. Sea World can be done in a long day, but is much more fun done in two.

Corpus Christi / Port Aransass is the quickest beach fix from SA.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,433 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Antonio vs. Moody Gardens

Moody Gardens is great and has a nice aquarium and rain forest pyramid, but it doesn't have the big Shamu shows and dolphin feeding, etc. that you can get at Sea World. Our friends that live in the area go to Port A.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
91 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Antonio vs. Moody Gardens

Thanks everybody for your help! Ok, I have decided to take your suggestions and do both Sea World and then on to Port Aransas. Now my question is where to stay in both San Antonio and Port Aransas and are there any discounts/coupons for sea world? I appreciate any and all advice! Thanks!

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,580 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Antonio vs. Moody Gardens

I almost always use Priceline/Hotwire. Airport area is about 20 minutes from Seaworld and prices will be lower.

Princeton, La
Level Contributor
82 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Antonio vs. Moody Gardens

I'm actually looking into San Antonio vacation. I have found the Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch to be comparable for decent hotels in San Antonio and they have lots of things for children. Indoor/outdoor pool, waterslides, lazy river. Hilton Hill Country a little less with a little less options but nice pool and nice hotel it seems. Courtyard Westover Hills comparable. And if I could have my way I would stay at Hyatt Regency Hill Country and skip the beach trip they have a four-acre Water Wonderland including a lazy Ramblin' River, a zero-entry sand beach, two outdoor pools, an adults-only pool and a children's pool. Both Hyatt's have $20 (per day) resort fees in addition unless you get one of their packages. Hope this helps, my friend picks on me because I love travel so much, she says I will probably be a travel agent in another life. LOL!

Princeton, La
Level Contributor
82 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Antonio vs. Moody Gardens

Oh sorry! and I love Galveston! I have been traveling there all my life. To me though there really isn't a comparison in Galveston and San Antonio. If you should decide to go to Galveston and visit Moody Gardens I would definitely make time for Palm Beach in Moody Gardens. And if possible Schlitterbahn!! My son LOVES Schlitterbahn. Let me know if I can be of any assistance with Galveston. Good luck!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Antonio vs. Moody Gardens

In SA would you like to stay on the Riverwalk or closer to SeaWorld

In Port A www.PortAransas.org you should check out Sandcastle www.sandcastlecondo.com it's very close to the Gulf, they have a boardwalk to the beach + they are very clean & good !!!!!