We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I-10 from San Antonio TX to El Paso TX

South Florida...
Level Contributor
112 posts
539 reviews
Save Topic
I-10 from San Antonio TX to El Paso TX

In October, I will be driving from Miami FL to San Francisco CA. I am taking I-10 as far as it till take me. My question is: I am concerned that there might be stretches from San Antono to El Paso that are desolate. I would like any info anyone has about that stretch. Are there long stretches where I won't see any towns for 75 - 100 miles? Is there cell service that entire way (AT&T)? And, what should I expect? Any decent hotels?

Also from El Paso to Tucson AZ - is that well-travelled or desolate? I just don't want to get stuck in areas where there is nothing around for miles. Thanks to anyone who answers!

Julie

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I-10 from San Antonio TX to El Paso TX

From Kerrville to El Paso can be quiet desolate from the lack of towns/cities, but there will be plenty of cars on the roads. If you need an overnight break between these cities, Kerrville and Ft Stockton are your best bets. After Ft Stockton, you will not see much civilization til you come to the El Paso area.

I am not on AT&T cell service, but we had no interruptions out there.

From El Paso to Tucson, there is only one major city, Las Cruces. But again, it's a major interstate with lots of traffic.

Drive safely and enjoy the scenery!

South Florida...
Level Contributor
112 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I-10 from San Antonio TX to El Paso TX

Great. Thank you so much for your response! Julie

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,953 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I-10 from San Antonio TX to El Paso TX

We just drove from Houston to El Paso only a week ago when we hit a really treacherous snow conditions between San Antonio and Fort Stockton. We were driving on weekend and during storm but there were still plenty of cars, salt shakers and police cars. We were surprised to see so many accidents including cars resting on their roofs.

Between Fort Stockton and El Paso there is a very nice Hampton Inn in Van Horn. When traveling west we like to stay in El Paso at exit 11 where two of Marriott's hotels are located, Fairfield Inn and SpringHill Suites. This way we don't have to deal with the morning traffic which could be heavy through El Paso. The least expensive gas is at exits 2 and 0. Personally I never enjoy a drive between El Paso and Las Cruces because of cattle factories. I always have to cover my nose and mouth otherwise I get physically sick from horrendous smell. There are plenty of cars between El Paso and Tucson. Are you planning to take I-8 or I-10 north of Tucson. If you want to get to I-10 I suggest taking a bypass from I-8 to avoid Phoenix. Keep in mind that some rest areas in AZ and CA are closed so need to plan accordingly. Be prepared for much higher gas prices in CA. Yesterday we paid $4.09 regular (87) per gallon.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
112 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I-10 from San Antonio TX to El Paso TX

WOW! This is really helpful to me. Thank you so much. I will be travelling this route the beginning of October, then back to Florida the beginning of November. I HOPE I don't hit snow (snow didn't really occur to me! So, thanks for telling me that).

I am a Marriott girl so that is GREAT info for El Paso as that's where I will be spending the night. I will remember exit 11. Thanks.

CATTLE FACTORIES? OH NO. I'm a vegetarian so that will very much offend me, but that's the way I am going. OMG - that sounds horrible. I can't even stand to pass a truck with cattle, pigs or chickens on them headed for the factories!

I will be on I-10 all the way from Miami to LA - that's my planned route. My destination is actually outside of San Francisco, so from LA I will take the 5. But, once I'm in California, I'm ok!

Thank you again for all the info. I appreciate the gas info. Last year when I was in Death Valley - I noticed gas was over $5 a gallon. It makes South Carolina look really really good - it's only $3.30 there.

you think of anything else, please let me know. Oh, and do you think there will be a possibility of a snow storm in October and November?

My main concern is that I will be travelling alone and don't want to hit some desolate roads - but, I don't think that will be a problem - right? Last year, I travelled from Tonopah NV to Great Basin NP and didn't see anything but wild horses and cacti for hours.

Thanks. Julie

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I-10 from San Antonio TX to El Paso TX

Between Kerrville and El Paso this interstate is 80 mph (slower in the dark). You'll find ample places to stay for the night like Junction, Sonora, Ozona, Ft Stockton en Van Horn. For something different you also can stay in Balmorhea in its SP or in town. We have stayed in most of the mentioned places without problems. Near Las Cruces is the nice town of La Mesilla. You also find motels in Deming, Lordsburg en many options closer to Tucson.

Tet

South Florida...
Level Contributor
112 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I-10 from San Antonio TX to El Paso TX

Thanks so much. I appreciate everyone's info! I noticed that Ft. Stockton seemed to be the biggest place to stay, but Van Horn is good too.

That is the one good thing about Texas, I like the 80mph. But, the state is just WAY too big to drive through! :)

Thanks.

Julie

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,953 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I-10 from San Antonio TX to El Paso TX

Julie, I don't think you should worry about snow storms in October or November. I don't know about hurricanes or tornadoes at that time but be flexible if you need to adjust your schedule. If you're planning to stay in San Antonio then El Paso would be your best overnight destination. Further, if you decide to stay at Marriott's at exit 11 take a right turn from the ramp and then the first right again until you see Fairfield and Springhill Suites. Balmorhea is a nice place to visit but it will take you on some isolated routes from and to I-10. I remember once not seeing one car all the way from I-10 to the park. Van Horn is a very small community but I guess you're not looking for bars or nightly entertainment. Avoid the Phoenix area at rush hours. It is about 7-8 hours drive from El Paso to Phoenix.

As to cattle factories they are in NM. Have napkins or a towel ready to cover your nose and try no to look to your left. There are thousands and thousands or cows in crowded dirty enclosures.

Edited: 19 February 2012, 18:17
South Florida...
Level Contributor
112 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I-10 from San Antonio TX to El Paso TX

Thanks again! I'll remember that about the cattle factories. That would realy bum me out.

As for hurricanes - no big deal to me. I'm from Florida! As, for a tornado, while I always say I want to see one - the reality is, I guess I kinda don't really. And, yes, I can adjust anything for the weather. I am just not accostomed to snow storms and driving in them, nor will I have snow tires or chains (like I could even put them on if I did!). I appreciate the info.

I plan on visiting the Alamo, then leaving San Antonio early the next morning and going all the way to El Paso before nightfall. Is that a reasonable plan? I figure 6 or 7 1/2 hours?

Nope, not looking for bars in Texas -- L.A., maybe! Thanks! You have been a lot of help; as have everyone in the Trip Advisor community!! Julie

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I-10 from San Antonio TX to El Paso TX

With a break in Ft. Stockton count on 8 hours between SA and El Paso.

Ft. Stockton has a nice new visitor center across the road from the "biggest roadrunner" . Mi Casita is a good restaurants close to the visitor center.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
112 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I-10 from San Antonio TX to El Paso TX

Ok, 8 hours, thanks. BIggest Roadrunner? As in a big roadside attraction? That's right up my alley! Here in Florida, we have the "biggest lobster" down in the Florida Keys.

Thanks again.

Julie