We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tower of the Americas

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
46 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Tower of the Americas

Is this closed, thier website says comming summer 2006...closed for renovations?

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,518 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tower of the Americas

I believe it's still closed. We're getting a new restaurant up there.

San Antonio
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tower of the Americas

The Tower closed for 12 months of renovations to create a new restaurant (Eyes over Texas) in June of last year, so if their timetable holds true, they should reopen sometime in June.

When I was by there last month, they had lots of construction material stacked inside the fencing that surrounds the site. I saw little trace of the ground level attraction ride that was mentioned in the news last month.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tower of the Americas

Hope the restaurant will be better. The old one was "Jim's on a stick."

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tower of the Americas

Hope the restaurant will be better. The old one was "Jim's on a stick."

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,518 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tower of the Americas

Wondertrev - I agree, except I like Jims. :) Also they were great, keeping the restaurant open for nearly a year after it was pretty clear they were not going to get the new contract, they even offered a half price deal for locals. During this time, the city couldn't get their act together with the new company (Landry's.) I'm pretty sure your going to pay for the view not the food with whoever is running the place.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tower of the Americas

I enjoy Jim's for breakfast. I was just unimpressed with the Tower food. Landry's management of the new place doesn't excite me. Good place for a drink, though.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tower of the Americas

i agree. Landry's restaurants are perhaps good for atmosphere, but not food. i recently gave Landry's seafood on the Riverwalk another try last week, and the fish platter was no better than Long John Silvers yet it cost about 4 times as much. Also, Landry's owns Rainforest Cafe and while it's fun to look at the animated animals and decor, the food is over-priced and not that good. oh well...

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tower of the Americas

Dang I was looking forward to the Tower on my visit in April guess I can cross that off my list. Anywhere else to get a good view of the city?

San Antonio
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tower of the Americas

Heard a news story on the radio two days ago that the renovation is on schedule and they planing to open sometime in June.

Get answers to your questions about San Antonio