We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The stars at night, are big and bright....

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The stars at night, are big and bright....

So here we go: me, 'Honey Bunny,' and all y'all in San Antonio tomorrow. I'm actually getting stoked for this trip. You have helped with some good suggestions previously and so thanks for that. I sent away for the San Antonio C of C 'Welcome to S.A.' propaganda package but now, three weeks later it still has not arrived. It will be here when we get back I would guess....

One question: What is the one thing we do not want to miss while we are there? Yeah, I know that's a loaded question but hit me back with something.

Thanks for your cheerful assistance!

Also, don't forget; come to visit California!

Steve in Santa Monica

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
14,633 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The stars at night, are big and bright....

Try to get to NIOSA.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,448 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The stars at night, are big and bright....

I would walk throught the historic Menger hotel next to the Alamo

Teddy Roosevelt came to SA to recruit Rough Riders back in the day..

on the side corridor is some history.... a great bar

they're also famous for their mango ice cream as well

Edited: 25 April 2012, 07:00
San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,418 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The stars at night, are big and bright....

Besides the Alamo?

Since it's Fiesta, I would say one of the long running events - NIOSA, either of the parades. If it weren't Fiesta, I'd say Mi Tierra.

McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
622 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The stars at night, are big and bright....

*clap clap clap clap*

Deep in the Heart of Texas!

(sorry, it just needed to be said. You can't just leave that on the table.)

Steve - NIOSA is a great time. Enjoy your trip!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The stars at night, are big and bright....

The things that are a must IMO

The 1st thing to do is take the 45 min narrated river cruise for the great info + to get your bearings on the Riverwalk so you will know where things are located. www.rioSanAntonio.com

Alamo www.thealamo.org if you don't know the importance you can see the movie "Price of Freedom" @ IMAX www.imax-sa.com @ Rivercenter Mall www.shoprivercenter.com

San Fernando Cathedral www.sfcathedral.org some of the hero bodies are entomb here as well.

Tower of the Americas www.toweroftheamericas.com if you are also looking for a great & Unique place for dinner then you may want to consider here because the restaurant rotates around the SA skyline with a spectacular view + excellent food & superior service.

Guenther House www.guentherhouse.com you can grab breakfast or lunch here.

If you like history then consider visiting the other missions www.nps.gov/saan

Market Square www.marketsquaresa.com & grab a bite to eat @ either place Mi Tierra www.mitierracafe.com or La Margarita www.lamargarita.com

Another must is Boudro's www.boudros.com to have the guacamole prepared tableside with a yummy Prickly Pear Margarita

With your "Honey Bunny" you may want to take a Horse & Carriage ride in SA downtown. www.lonestarcarriage.com or Yellow Rose carriage www.yellowrosecarriage.com

If you are here during FIESTA make sure to catch an event. www.fiesta-sa.org

Have a fantastic time in SA & make sure to write a report when you get back & let us know your likes & dislikes. OK

Edited: 25 April 2012, 15:37
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: The stars at night, are big and bright....

Thanks guys for your suggestions. We'll mos def do the riverboat tour, and I'm intrigued by that Mengers. Mango ice cream, great bar, history - how much better can it get?! My elderly Uncle will be with us every step of the way, so I don't know about venues requiring lots of walking; we'll see. If San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the US, it's got to have something great to offer!

In either event, wait for my report next Wednesday or Thursday.

Thanks so much and don't forget to visit LA!

Steve in Santa Monica

Bullish on all that is America....

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,448 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The stars at night, are big and bright....

"Today the Menger Hotel is the oldest continuously operating hotel west of the Mississippi."

mengerhotel.com/historic-san-antonio-hotel/i…

some info

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The stars at night, are big and bright....

Will be waiting patiently for your Report & I hope you have fantastic time & a great experience.

Speaking of CA I'll be in San Diego in June looking forward to the cooler weather.

9. Re: The stars at night, are big and bright....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 09:15