We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Places To Eat?

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best Places To Eat?

I'm going to San Antonio on Sunday, and I'm going to be there for four days and three nights. I need some advice on the places that I must eat. Not just the most touristy places or anything. Very open on types of food. Breakfast is taken care of. Just lunch and dinner. Any input is appreciated! I also have a vehicle, so distance isn't much of an issue. Preferably within 30 minutes of downtown.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,392 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Places To Eat?

You can check out previous posts - there are lot's of recommendations. Specifically, what are you looking for? - Cuisine? Price? Time?

4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Places To Eat?

I've been looking at the posts and found many places. I was just making sure I didn't miss out on any must have place.

Specifically I am looking for the best BBQ place, and of course the best in general of the area.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Places To Eat?

El Milagrito on N St. Marys for lunch..The real deal..Boudros on the Riverwalk...The bar at the Tower of Americas for happy hour and appetizers and of course the view..BBQ I really like Rudy's on I-10..I have been to the best bbq joints in Texas(City Market,etc.)..For local though Rudy's is my fave..Ask for your brisket moist and dont miss the creamed corn...If you dont mind driving a tad more than 30 minutes, Salt Lick is very good...

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,392 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Places To Eat?

My choices first to last, but all are excellent choices. These are shades of perfection and worth a special trip.

Smitty's in Lockhart

Salt Lick Near Austin

City Market in Luling

Kreuz Market in Lockhart

Black's in Lockhart

Coopers in New Braunfels

Luling Bar-B-Que in Luling

Next tier down (Again in order first choice first) - where I eat in SA,

Gonzales Meat Market in SA on W.W. White road.

Rudy's in Leon Springs or Schertz (originals)

Rudy's in New Braunfels (franchised)

Augies by the Park in San Antinio

BBQ Station in San Antonio

Smoke House (Formerly Bob's) in San Antonio

Two Brothers in San Antonio

Edited: 04 August 2012, 02:43
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Places To Eat?

Thank you! :D I really appreciate the input!

Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Places To Eat?

What type of food? Price Range? If you like down home cooking...Mr.Tims Kitchen....downtown...known for their delicious biskets and cinnamon rolls. High End...Brazillian Chama gaucha...delicious if you love meat....

4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Places To Eat?

Not really looking for much higher end dining, but besides that I'm open to anything. I just need ideas! :)

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,292 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Places To Eat?

We went to Blacks in Lockhart not bad next time we will try Smitty's.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Places To Eat?

You have been given some excellent suggestions but here are a few more to add to your list.

Texas Pride BBQ about a 25 min drive from downtown with very good BBQ

www.texaspridebbq.net

Here are some other places you may want to check out

Earl Abel's www.earlabelssa.com for Home cooking type of food

Tip Top Café www.tiptopcafe.com

M.K. Davis Restaurant @ 1302 N. Flores PH # 210-223-1208

Chris Madrid's www.chrismadrids.com for great HB & nachos

Picante Grill www.picantegrill.com for good Mexican food.

Lulu's Bakery & Café @ 918 N. Main 210-222-9422 home type food

Boudro's @ Riverwalk excellent food & beautiful view. www.boudros.com a must have is the guacamole prepared tableside with a yummy Prickly Pear Margarita.

La Margarita in Market Square for very good Tex Mex www.lamargarita.com

Mi Tierra www.mitierracafe.com

Pico De Gallo www.picodegallo.com

El Chaparral Mexican www.elchaparral.com

Los Barrios or La Hacienda De Los Barrios www.lhdlb.com

Friendswood, Texas
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Places To Eat?

We just got back from a trip and tried out Dough Pizzeria Napoletana. MMMMMM. The place has been featured on Diners Drive-ins and Dives, and it's worth the trip. The owner imported a brick fire pizza oven from Italy. He makes his own mozzarella and sausage. Everything was YUMMY! It's at Loop 410 and Blanco. As far as BBQ goes-- I've heard it put that if you want a "life changing" BBQ experience, you need to go to the Hill Country (Lockhart is a great place to be-- Smitty's is probably the best). Inside San Antonio, Rudy's on I-10 is probably the best. I agree with the PP about the creamed corn, but I like my brisket extra lean, not moist (I'm not a fan of fatty meats). Make sure you put a good dousing of sauce on it (the stuff in the white bottle is their regular sauce. The stuff in the yellow bottle is a version with less heat-- they call it "sissy" sauce ;)!). You're going to want to buy a bottle of sauce to take home with you. Happy eating :).