We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple of questions

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
641 reviews
Save Topic
Couple of questions

I just have a couple of questions. We will be in the area during the week from Christmas to New Years Eve. If we are not going horseback riding, is it worth it to go to Bandera or should we see Natural Bridge Caverns instead? For New Years Eve, I am not sure where the events are and if there is public transportation. We don't drink alot, but we like to see the fireworks. I know the fireworks are at Tower of America. Do we have to go there to see them or are all the events on the River Walk as well? We are staying at the Drury Plaza. Thank you.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
14,997 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple of questions

hopefully, you already have reservations...Just an FYI there is a bowl game schedule for DEC. 29 at the Alamobowl...I find it exciting for the two college teams to be downtown with the pep bands, pep rallies and fans meandering around the riverwalk area.....

.... some of these fans tend to linger a few days to participate in the downtown street party..family friendly, SA is accustomed to big crowds (Fiesta) so this event is usually managed well

www.saparksfoundation.org/celebrate_sa.html

if you want a NYE dinner, I'd book it asap well. Me personally-I've eaten at Mi Tierra's (24/7) for an early NYE dinner and then enjoyed the street party--no need for reservations (or sister restaurants La Margarita or Pico De Gallo)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKUxOD0tJic

while downtown

IMAX Alamo film, Alamo, visit to missions, San Fernando Cathederal, King William Historic area & Guenther House restuarnt etc.

closer to your visit...check out music calender for The Cove or Sam's Burger Joint..both near downtown

you could do a day trip in the Hill Country..Bandera or simply take it a little easier and take the short drive to Natural Bridge Caverns..another 13 or so miles down the road is New Braunfels/ Gruene Texas...Gruene Dance Hall..one of the oldest in TEXAS..free music daily...concerts on FRI/SAT night

genreal store, restaurant terraced over the Guadalupe River

you might catch the mariachi mass at San Fernando or San Jose mission

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5ScbPuawpQ

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
14,997 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple of questions

closer to your visit, you can check the weekly entertaiment guide...events/restaurants/clubs/bands etc

http://sacurrent.com/

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple of questions

You could visit Bandera but if you don't really like visiting little quaint towns than it may be better for you to go to Natural Bridge Cavern for something to do that is fun & interesting.

There is public transportation to get around in the downtown area. You can see the firework from different area of downtown but the better view is at Tower of the Americas which is nearby.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couple of questions

Bandera is a small town one Main Street so if you have kids they may not be entertained.

5. Re: Couple of questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2013, 10:16