We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lackland AF Graduation....

Bayville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
9 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Lackland AF Graduation....

I know this sounds repetetive but I havent found an answer and some are old so I know things have changed...so here goes...

I am going to see my son graduate (God willing) on December 14th at Lackland AFB. I will be arriving on December 12th and leaving on the 16th. It will be myself, my friend and his girlfriend. I really don't want to stay at any hotels around the base as they seem a little rundown and far from anything. I also have been researching and no locals have anything good to say! I am renting a car. Is the Riverwalk really far and inconvenient? If the Riverwalk is ok, then what is a good decent, NICE hotel that is maybe easier access to highway I need to get to so I can get to Lackland every morning easier?? any ideas?? I have to admit, while I don't at ALL mind driving ( I will bring my gps) I don't want to get stuck in traffic and be late to anything!! Please HELP>>>>>>>

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,813 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lackland AF Graduation....

Drury Inn and Suites on the riverwalk gets contstant thumbs up

..did you already see the top right of this page?...there are links to

both of your topics...

..RW to Lackland is easy..under 30 mins....more like 20 mins

simply take I-35 south towards Laredo and then take Highway 90 West

Bayville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
9 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lackland AF Graduation....

thanks but the top right of this page are old.....thats why I posted today. Sure things change! ....but i do think I will stick to Riverwalk ...just wanted to know if some properties were more conventient than others...

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lackland AF Graduation....

I think the Riverwalk (RW) is an excellent choice. It's easy to get to the highway & only a 19 - 25 min drive depending on traffic of course.

I agree the Drury Plaza would be a great choice with it's FREE amenities.

www.druryhotels.com/properties//alamo.cfm

Another good choice is Embassy Suites RW great amenities as well. www.embassysuitesriverwalk.com

If you want more luxurious with TX size rooms then check out the Westin www.westin.com/riverwalk

If you want to be in the midst of the RW then check out these.

La Mansion Del Rio very charming with it's Spanish Mansion feel. www.omnilamansion.com

Marriott Rivercenter also a nice place to stay & the elevator opens up to RW & the Mall. www.marriott.com/satrc

Palacio Del Rio www.palaciodelrio.hilton.com the rooms are newly renovated + has a fun bar Durty Nelly's Irish Pub

Here is a website where you may find some HOT deals on the hotels.

www.visitSanAntonio.com/SAVE click on SAVE then Hotels + they have some coupons for some of the attractions.

If you have any ??? on hotels just ask or if you want other recommendation that will meet your personal preference or criteria let us know.

Congrats on your Son graduation & Thank him for me for serving our country.

Bayville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
9 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lackland AF Graduation....

thank you so much Pruske25....checking everything out!

Indianapolis...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Lackland AF Graduation....

Hi Principessa

Let me know what you find out about the hotel situation when you get a chance. My son will be graduating January 10th, 2013. We just got our graduation form letter from the AF. I won't make the reservations until the date is a little more firm. Btw, my cousin is in Bayville :)

Best wishes to you and your graduate!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,550 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lackland AF Graduation....

Pruske gave you some good info. Especially, the visitors center SAVE program here is their list of current lower rates:

save.visitsanantonio.com/Deal-List.aspx…

Here are some more in the immediate downtown/riverwalk area that I like:

…hilton.com/en/…index.html

…hilton.com/en/…index.html

…hilton.com/en/…index.html (I stayed here last year and it is a wonderful new hotel on the RWalk...loved it)

comfortsuites.com/hotel-san_antonio-texas-TX… (not on RW, but about 5 blocks)

staybridge.com/hotels/…hoteldetail (not on RW, but about 5 blocks and on Yellow Streetcar Route

Now if you or Liz want to be near Lackland, here are a few hotels that are newish, therefore not in the older motel category that you were trying to stay away from:

bestwesterntexas.com/hotels/best-western-plu…

holidayinn.com/hotels/…hoteldetail

marriott.com/hotels/…

…hilton.com/en/…index.html $109 on 12/12/12

http://www.staybridge.com/hotels/us/en/san-antonio/satwh/hoteldetail?sicreative=7712909296&dp=true&sicontent=0&sitrackingid=140761511&cm_mmc=Google-PS-Staybridge-_-G+B-AMER-%5BUSA%5D-West-_-%5BUSA%5D-%28TX%29-San%2BAntonio-SATWH-_-staybridge+suites+san+antonio+sea+world&siclientid=1921

Now for Liz, this is a full list and gives you how many miles to the LL gate. However, this list includes the good, the bad and the ugly so be careful:

…military-hotels.us/zcom/hotelZest/PropertyS…

Edited: 25 November 2012, 00:19
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,550 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lackland AF Graduation....

I sent Principessa a private message and in response to me she asked us one more question. Quote:

Can you suggest good steak places to take him Friday after graduation? Not to expensive since it will be 8 of us but steak is my son's favorite food and well....we are in Texas....lol....Thanks again for everything...

Ms. P. I always recommend Texas Land & Cattle because I have had good food and good service there twice. Last time I was with my daughter and they had a special that got us salad, steak, potato and dessert for a really, really reasonable price (can't remember, so don't want to quess). It is on the Riverwalk level under the Drury Hotel. Very, very nice Texas decor too.

http://www.txlc.com/files/home.aspx (201 No. St. Mary's)

I'll let Pruske and others make their suggestions

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lackland AF Graduation....

I agree with Georgetowngal that Texas Land & Cattle is a good choice & reasonable.

You may also want to check out Saltgrass, I think they have good steaks as well that are reasonable. www.saltgrass.com

The above are good for reasonable price. You could also check out Texas Roadhouse also got good steaks that are reasonable. www.texasroadhouse.com/

Bayville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
9 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lackland AF Graduation....

Dear Liz L.

I think I am going to stick with a hotel at the Riverwalk but right off the expressway. Here is my logic....either way you have to drive to the base. So it all entails getting into a car...5 min or 20? I'm still driving. Besides when my son goes back to base at 8pm, I might want to get a drink or see something so at least I am near something to see. Outside of the base I was told there is nothing. I can keep you posted!

Bayville, New Jersey
Level Contributor
9 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lackland AF Graduation....

Thank you Georgetown gal and Pruske25.....I think I will pick Texas Land and Cattle! I got a real cheap deal with the Emiily Morgan by calling them.....so I hope I made a good choice.....