We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fiesta Info

Ohio
Level Contributor
115 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Fiesta Info

I will be in SA April 17-22 for a conference. How packed is the River Walk during this time? Is it impossible to get into restaurants, etc.?

Also, is there anywhere nearby to go horseback riding or does one need to go to the hill country for a trail ride?

One last question: will I be able to view the river parade from my hotel (Homewood Suites)?

Thanks for your help!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
474 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fiesta Info

Have you checked into getting bleacher seats for the River Parade? We did this once, but it's been awhile- when we paid 5 bucks- guess they're 10 now), but thought it was worth the money, and right in the heart of the Riverwalk.

I don't know about Homewood- the only place I could guarantee a nice view is balcony room at LaMansion-ouch. (which is also by the bleacher seats).

We've lived in many desirable cities in the US, but I'll always have a certain fondness for SA, so hope you enjoy your trip!

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
574 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fiesta Info

You shouldn't have any problem getting into any restaurants with the exception of Monday the 18th. The River Parade floats down the river that night so you won't be able to just walk into any restaurant simply for a meal. NIOSA, the largest festival of Fiesta, runs from the 19th-22nd and is situated about two blocks from your hotel. You will have a lot of people coming into downtown to attend the festival, but it shouldn't affect the Riverwalk traffic too much as most people will be in La Villita attending NIOSA. NIOSA is a lot of fun and has plenty of good food, so you could have your dinner there if you don't mind crowds and paying about an $8 admission fee plus the cost of the food. My suggestion would be to go there Tuesday or Wednesday evening when it opens at 5:30 to avoid the lines and the crowds. However, it will start getting pretty crowded by 7:30-8:00 every night and Thursday and Friday are extremely crowded from open to close.

You will not be able to see the parade from your hotel because the Battle of Flowers parade rolls at noon on Friday a block north of your hotel down Commerce Street. Expect huge crowds downtown that day as they normally estimate the crowd at about 250-300K.

Regarding the horseback riding, most are in the hill country, but you may want to call Azgard Farm @ 210-494-8871 to see what they have to offer. They are local on the northside of the city.

Hope this will answer your questions. If it doesn't or you need other info just update this thread.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
574 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fiesta Info

Just to update your parade question. I just realized you were asking about the river parade and not the other parades. If you have a room with a river view you may be able to see the parade from your room. The parade floats by the hotel so you may want to call them as they can probably provide you with the most accurate information regarding a parade view.