We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barbeque

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nettleton, Ms.
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Barbeque

What would be a good restaurant for Barbeque near Fredericksburg?

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barbeque

Not sure about Fredricksburg but we ate at the County Line BBQ in SA and it was great there is one in the NW part of the city and one on the Riverwalk there may be more not sure.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,351 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barbeque

I'm usually hunting German food in Fredericksburg. I like Buzies in Comfort. The original Rudys is in Borene.

McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
605 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barbeque

Octoboy ~ Is that Rudy's still open? I heard a rumor about its demise courtesy of the great flood of 1998 (I think). It's what I was going to recommend too! I know there's another Rudy's near the Hyatt Hill Country, but that's not close enough to Fredericksburg to be helpful...

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,351 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barbeque

Alive and kicking! That one, the one by Sea World and the one on 35 in Selma are all owned by Doc Watson, the originator of the chain.

Wild, Wild West
Level Contributor
430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barbeque

I've only been to Fredricksburg once but we ate at a BBQ place just outside of town or right when you come in. It's VERY old school and looks a touch run down (BBQ smoker outdoors, corrugated metal type building) but it was awesome. I would pay $50 a plate to have BBQ that good in San Diego.

I love the Rudy's next to Sea World too. I had a friend who was a VP at Sea World. I stayed with him and he was within walking distance of that Rudy's. I think I ate there 5 times in 4 days.

However, the best is over in ***Lockhart***.....they are all good but I like Blacks for sausage & Kruez for beef the best. Alot of people swear by Smitty's and Chisolm Trail was very good but not on par with the others.

McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
605 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barbeque

Oh goodness! I second the recommendation for Black's and Kreutz! However, Lockhart is about a 2 hour drive from Fredericksburg and there are so many other great places closer.

Within about a 45 minute drive from Fredericksburg is Llano, which has both Cooper's and Laird's...yumyumyum... I prefer Cooper's (like the atmosphere) but wouldn't pass up Laird's in the least. If you're willing to drive the 45 minutes to Llano (nice Hill Country drive) you may be willing to drive the 50 minutes the other way to Boerne and the aforementioned Rudy's. I'm like Octoboy; we get German food in Fredericksburg. Man, this board is making me hungry! LOL.

Octoboy, THANKS! You made my husband's day letting us know it wasn't closed! The Rudy's where we live is good, but it's not the same. Another reason to plan a trip to S.A. this summer....

Austin, TX.
Level Contributor
4,889 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barbeque

FORGET Rudy's (Any and EVERY location).

It is below avrage BBQ by TEXAS standards.

Your best bet BY FAR wthin a short drive is the aforementioned Cooper's in Llano. Lockhart is a better overall BBQ town, but a long ways for you and Cooper's is one of the Top 3 BBQ places in the entire state. You will not be disappointed and accept NO substitutes!

Cooper's cooks their meat the "West Texas" way over mesquite. Their goat (cabrito) is excellent, pork chops are huge and very tasty, pork ribs also good, beef ribs are very good and so is the "half chicken". The "bonelss" meats like brisket and sirloin are too fatty around the edges, pork loin is OK and sausage is not good. Stick with the "bone-in" cuts and you will be good to go. FREE beans, onions, jalapenos and bread...

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barbeque

Rudy's ain't that bad. It is a chain, but after living in NY, I'd killf or some Rudy's brisket. Thankfully, I'm off to DC for some Capital 'Cue.

That having been said, w/o going to Lockhart, Cooper's may ne your best bet.

Texas Monthly did mention a place in Marble Falls with good sausage, though the name escapes me.

McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
605 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barbeque

Are you thinking of Inman's Ranch? I think I read that article. :-) I've heard that place is hit or miss, so never have taken a chance with my appetite.

staunchsteve ~ for the most part I'd agree with you about Rudy's; the location here in Waco isn't in my top five places for barbecue in town (and that's saying something). But the original Rudy's somehow was just better.

I wish The Salt Lick was closer to Fredericksburg. I'd recommend that too, but it's kind of hard to find.

And for k2rider... did you know that The County Line ships out food? I've sent barbecue to both my dad and brother who were living far away from good 'cue at the time; they loved it. Try airribs.com. Expensive, but maybe less than $50 a plate (lol).

10. Re: Barbeque

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 16:16