We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Mission?

Webb City MO
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which Mission?

Less than a week to go until our trip. I think I have everything pretty much planned as far as what we are going to do, but since I am the only history buff type person on this trip, I am pretty sure that I will only get to see one or two missions. My question is which ones would be the best? We are all very excited about coming to San Antonio and can hardly wait. Thanks for any input.

Mentioned in this post
San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,687 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Mission?

I like Mission San Jose, it has a good visitor center. Have you checked out the National Parks web site? http://www.nps.gov/saan/

Mentioned in this post
Mission San Jose
Mission San Jose
2,938 Reviews
San Antonio, TX
Webb City MO
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Mission?

Thank you for the web sight info. It was informative. I hope to talk everyone into visiting all the missions, but if I can't, I think I will visit San Juan. There is a statue of St. Anne (my namesake) that I would like to see.Also the Rose window that I have read about.

Webb City MO
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Mission?

I guess I was confused, I meant Mission San Jose.

Mentioned in this post
Mission San Jose
Mission San Jose
2,938 Reviews
San Antonio, TX
OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Mission?

San Jose is one of my favorites. They were doing renovation work on the rose window when we were there last, (March) removing some sealant type finish that had been applied in the name of preservation years ago, but which was having a detrimental effect on it instead. Someone working on her PhD in historic preservation, whose thesis was that rose window, was doing the work. I hope they are still there when you are here...if so they are willing to talk about the work, and it's simply fascinating.

There are some very knowledgeable docents who walk around too, more than happy to answer questions, and they can really enrich the experience. Do see and hear the detailed descriptions of the working of the grist mill!

It is so hot now, the earlier you get out the better. Early morning, in fact, can still be delgihtful and if you are to convince your friends that one mission would be nice, that's the time to do it. That is such a photogenic mission, I don't think they will regret making the trip!

San Antonio
Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Mission?

If you're interested, go to Mission San Jose on Sunday. At noon they have a Mariachi Mass with a large contingent of volunteer musicians from different mariachi groups in the area.

Be sure to get there early and wait in line, since it's usually standing room only!

Mentioned in this post
Mission San Jose
Mission San Jose
2,938 Reviews
San Antonio, TX
6. Re: Which Mission?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 11:17