We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Engagement Weekend

Houston, TX
6 posts
Save Topic
Engagement Weekend

I'm taking my girlfriend for a weekend in San Antonio at the end of July to propose to her. I've got reservations right now at La Mansion and for a jr. suite at the Westin -- both rooms at the hotels are overlooking the river - I'm probably going to drop the reservation at La Mansion. I was wanting to throw it out there to which is the better of the two hotels? From the comments on here, it seems that La Mansion is spotty on it's service and the Westin seems more reliable with better rooms and better location/view of the river.

Also, I'm having trouble deciding on a romantic place to go for dinner on Friday. I'm trying to decide from Grey Moss, The Vineyard, Morton's, La Fogata, The Little Rhein, and Bohanan's. Can someone help me out with their take, suggestions, opinions,etc on these places?

Thanks!

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Engagement Weekend

I've had a bad experience at the Vineyard recently and am not keen on that. Grey Moss is tres tres romantique!! I like that idea. Very expensive, but also very romantic downtown, Le Reve. If you have wine off the tasting menu it can easily run over $125 pp, but there are less expensive ways to go. Google the restaurant for prices and menu options. That and Grey Moss are the two most romantic restaurants I've been to in town.

Have you looked into the Watermark Hotel? I haven't stayed, but my husband (who runs another hotel in town) has had a tour and says it's quite nice. It's sort of hard living here and recommending hotels...we don't stay in them! :) I have seen a room at the Westin when a friend was at a conference there and although it is a lovely hotel, nice public spaces, the room could have been any Hyatt or Marriott or .xxxx (insert comparable chain) anywhere. A generic hotel room. Their lobby is very nice though, and I love the landscaped outdoor areas along the river.

Save Reply
2. Re: Engagement Weekend

My family stayed at La Mansion a few years ago with a suite and a balcony over looking the riverwalk. It was nice but not overly romantic. The rooms wouldnt be romantic enough for me but that is where your creativity comes in. But the balcony was shared by two rooms. It was not a private balcony. You might want to make sure if you keep your reservations you check to see if it is a room on a higher floor that may have a private balcony.

Ironically I am now looking for one night on the riverwalk for our 18 yr anniversary before we head to Mexico next month with our kids and La Mansion is not on my list.

Good luck!

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,519 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Engagement Weekend

My wife and I stayed at La Mansion 6 years ago (it was a gift from her sisters.) For about 300 bucks we had a beautiful room, private balconey, a split of champegene and chocolate covered strawberries. I personally would not ever consider $300 per night; I usually balk at $100 a night. I would just rather spend the money on actavaties.

As to romantic - deffinations abound. Some might think that $300/night plus room service is wonderfully romantic. Others might think that laughing, enjoying a new experience together is romantic. Some might classify a secluded camping sight as romatic, (though for me, anything without airconditioning and indoor plumbing could never be!) Expensive dinner, quite picnic. You'll have to be the one to decide.

Houston, TX
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Engagement Weekend

I'm going to stick with my Westin reservation.

The only decision I have left is to choose some place from my list of restaurants. Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the input so far!

McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
692 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Engagement Weekend

Oh! Grey Moss Inn is fabulous and SO romantic.

I would suggest you stay away from La Fogata for romance. It is one of my favorite all time restaurants, but is noisy and crowded on weekends. (at least it was 10 years ago when I went regularly) And, somehow, every time over an 8 year period that hubby and I took someone there, they ended up getting sick. LOL. It actually became a joke (for people with twisted senses of humor). He and I never had any problems in the dozens and dozens of times we went, but I'd hate for you and your future fiancee to have that as a memory!

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
4 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Engagement Weekend

La Mansion is a romantic old hotel but the newer tower has less magic. I'd probably go with the Westin but try to get a river view. I'd also check out the Watermark and the new Contessa hotels.

Dinner. Hmmmmmmmmmm. We eat out several times a week so I feel like I can give you good advice. The Grey Moss is way out of town--it could take you 30 - 40 minutes to get there. It is remote and charming but the food is not spectacular, just pretty good. I'd skip the Vineyard. Mortons is reliably good, but it is a chain. The Little Rhein is expensive for what it is, but it is on the River. Bohanans has pretty good food and is within walking distance of the hotels but I wouldn't call it romantic.

Here's an idea. Stay at the Westin but plan dinner at Las Canarias, the restaurant at La Mansion. Be sure to reserve a table inside but next to a window (it will be very hot in July). Sitting near the window gives you the charm of the riverwalk without the heat. I think the food at Las Canarias is one of the best in town.

I hope she says "yes".

7. Re: Engagement Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 01:18
Get answers to your questions about San Antonio