We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drury Inn - which one is best?

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Canton, Ohio
Level Contributor
159 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Drury Inn - which one is best?

My wife and I (in our 50's) are considering coming to San Antonio for the first time in late November for a few days just before Thanksgiving. We are then considering driving or flying to Austin to visit relatives for the Thanksgiving holiday. I think we would like to stay on the riverwalk and then do the touristy things and eat and drink at casual restaurants and bars (no chain establishments if possible). Both Drury Hotels seem to have good reviews. Is one better than the other? We would also consider other hotels if suggested. Where do the locals eat and drink? I am hoping that we do not need a car while in town but we will rent one if that is suggested. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,425 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drury Inn - which one is best?

All of these topics have been covered - browse through previous questions.

Both the Drurys are good. I like to use Hotwire or Priceline for downtown - can usually get a great hotel for less than $100 per night. Almost all of the hotels downtown will charge $20 to $30 for valet parking (good thing is you have in and out privileges.)

Austin is about 90 minutes from downtown to downtown.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,929 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drury Inn - which one is best?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60956-i76-k658558…

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,634 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drury Inn - which one is best?

another link in the top right column of this page

I like the Drury Inn and Suites on the RW-201 N St Mary's Street

While downtown, you do not need a car..only if you want an excursion out of downtown.

Market Square is a famous hang out place with 3 famous restaurants..yes, on the touristy side but still one of my favorites. Mi Tierra is 24/7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKUxOD0tJic

King William historic area..walk street level or natural part of the riverwalk. Guenther House for pastries, breakfast or lunch. http://www.guentherhouse.com/

split an order of biscuits and gravy and then a waffle..yum!

for local Tex Mex..Blanco Cafe.(two blocks from hotel- 419 N. St. Mary's). breakfast/lunch till 3pm. cheap,local, tastey food..full plate of food for $10. Voted best enchiladas several times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iakBPnm3ySw

if you drive from SA to Austin, you might be interested in Gruene Texas..just off the freeway..again, touristy but still a favorite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKA4nm_2_8Q

Downtown is walkable IMO...I don't think you can go wrong by using the website above to get even a better deals on hotels downtown. ( The Christmas lights turn on the day after Thanksgiving..so you will notice some excitement in the air of the anticipation of the riverwalk being lit up)

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drury Inn - which one is best?

Pipps gave you great info on the Drury with the links to the post that had been discuss before.

The Drury's are a great value for your money so you can't go wrong & they are just a block apart.

If you are gonna do the downtown touristy thing then you won't need a rental car. The attractions in the downtown area are very walkable or you can use the streetcar/trolley to get around for a $1.10 or you can buy a day pass. www.viainfo.net//Busservice/Streetcar.aspx & also the Via public bus has a sightseer attraction route #7 www.viainfo.net/Busservice/Schedules.aspx If you buy the day pass about $4 you can ride both of them for 24hrs which is a great deal if you don't want to do a lot of walking.

When you arrive you should definitely take the river tour cruise which is a 45 min narrated cruise along the riverwalk to help you to get your bearings for the riverwalk + lots of great info + you can see where things are located. www.rioSanAntonio.com + they have a taxi to get around on the river walk as well.

Some places to eat that aren't chains.

Boudro's www.boudros.com

Biga www.biga.com

Schilo's www.schilos.com

Las Canarias @ La Mansion

Zocca www.zoccariverwalk.com

La Margarita @ Market Square www.lamargarita.com & Mi TIerra has tejashombre suggested.

5. Re: Drury Inn - which one is best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2014, 05:20