We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Antonio train Station

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
9,790 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
San Antonio train Station

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a silly question, for our trip next October for my daughter and I, I'm now considering taking the Amtrak Texas Eagle train from San Antonio to Fort Worth. Is the train station anywhere near San Antonio Riverwalk? Could we take a taxi from our riverwalk hotel easily?

Thanks so much.

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
9,790 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: San Antonio train Station

This is so helpful Felschurch, thanks again. Just enjoyed your trip report from 2011. We love the idea of the Texas Eagle so shall use it from SA to FW for sure - much cheaper than flying by the looks of it and much more fun! I think this is also the way we'll travel from Austin to SA.

Can't wait to et booking but I suppose it's going to be a while before flights are released for next October. Thanks again.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: San Antonio train Station

Jofar--if you're even considering a weekend stay in Austin in October, check this website when you begin your planning, as hotel rooms in Austin will be very difficult to obtain on those weekends when the University of Texas is playing a home game: …go.com/college-football/…texas-longhorns

If you're planning on staying in San Antonio, it should present no problem, however.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,192 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: San Antonio train Station

I'm confused about your itinerary so here is info express MegaBus. It goes from downtown Austin to downtown Dallas or vice versa. Austin to downtown San Antonio or vice versa. It costs anywhere from $1 to 15 depending on what you pick. It makes no stops, thus very quick trip, especially the Austin to San Antonio.

http://us.megabus.com

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
9,790 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: San Antonio train Station

Ok, so I'll avoid starting the trip on a weekend, thanks for the warning Gene. I'm really flexible with days and dates at the moment, this really is a very helpful forum, much appreciated.

Georgetowngal, confused just about sums me up at the moment! Just as I become convinced of one itinerary, other options become apparent and I'm back to square one! Thanks for the info on the Megabus, I'll look into that for the Austin to San Antonio route but am pretty convinced (more to the point so is my 8 year old!) that we'll take the Texas Eagle from SA to FW, but will have to make sure it runs on the day I need to take it.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
6,995 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: San Antonio train Station

jo my FW TR tripadvisor.com/…35275114

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
9,790 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: San Antonio train Station

Thanks Felschurch, I somehow can't imagine us leaving empty handed! It all sounds so exciting!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: San Antonio train Station

As Felschurch mentioned in the trip report, the Amtrak trains in this part of the country can run very late at times. It's not a European train system, or even like taking Amtrak on the East Coast of the United States. Trains in this part of the country share track with freight trains, which have the right-of-way. If your dates and times are flexible enough to allow for potential delays of several hours, then the train can be a peaceful and relaxing way to travel, but if you are interested in getting to a place at a specified time, The Megabus would be the best cost-efficient alternative, with flying obviously the fastest.

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
9,790 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: San Antonio train Station

Thanks MrTed, it sounds as if taking the Megabus from Austin would be my best option. But as travelling place to place is going to be a big part of this trip, I'll chance the Texas Eagle as it sounds so appealing, particularly the roomettes. We won't be in a great hurry, if I have to add yet another night to Fort Worth, so be it!

19. Re: San Antonio train Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2014, 07:18