We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inn in King William or Monte Vista neighborhood?

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
89 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Inn in King William or Monte Vista neighborhood?

My husband and I are traveling to San Antonio for 5 days later next week for some R & R and to get a break from winter. I visited once about 30 years ago; my husband has never been there. We want to visit the Riverwalk, of course, but don't care for crowds, noise, or high rise chain hotels. I've found two inns that get good reviews. One is in the Monte Vista neighborhood (Inn at Craig Place), the other (two different houses, actually, the Noble Inns -- Jackson House and Oge House) are in King William. I've looked at both on a map and am torn. I love the idea of being able to walk to the Riverwalk, and it looks like Monte Vista is pretty far for that. If it's easy enough to drive and park at Riverwalk and the inn in Monte Vista is substantially nicer, we'll go that route. Otherwise I'd prefer to be on the river. Both inns have a lot of reviews from visitors who have written only one TA review, which always makes me a little skeptical. Can anyone help with the choice, or have any other suggestions? We want privacy, romance, and prefer small boutique hotels with owners/managers who can make great suggestions for local restaurants and activities. I always rely on TA when planning my trips. Thanks in advance!

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,350 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inn in King William or Monte Vista neighborhood?

Don't have any personal info on which is nicer. You are correct that you can not walk to the Riverwalk from the Monte Vista area. Driving to downtown is easy, parking will cost about $10 per day without in and out privileges. You can use metered parking for shorter times and move around.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,077 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inn in King William or Monte Vista neighborhood?

I am a senior citizen living near Austin and one of our neighbors posted this nice review of Craigs Place on our neighborhood forum if this helps. They loved it.

"We recently went to San Antonio for, not a day trip, but for a 2 night quick anniversity trip. Having lived near there through the '70s, 80s and part of the 90s, we were somewhat familiar with the city but had not kept up to date. I got on Tripadvisor.com and found a bed and breakfast that was in a wonderful old neighborhood which was close to town but also convenient to any other places of interest in the area. Craig's Place is in an old Victorian mansion in a noted historic district that suited or needs. We did not want to stay in a touristy hotel down on the river or in the King William district which is far from everything else. The breakfasts were gourmet...wonderful treat...the ambiance was perfect. We booked the only ground floor room and were thrilled that it was actually a suite, with the bath and dressing area down a short hall (but still within our room). It was perfect for my get up early husband to rise, bathe and dress while I slumbered away. This place is a real jewel and Gregg and Kelly great hosts."

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
15,002 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inn in King William or Monte Vista neighborhood?

if you stay at Monte Vista, city bus is easy enough to get downtown and you can avoid parking.... close to Broadway, museums, eateries etc

I like the King William due to its location, history, Guenther House restaurant. You really don't need a rental car if you plan to stay downtown the entire time. Early morning walks on the river, sipping on margaritas at market square, cafes and shops in KW area. Southtown. Blue Star Brewery

downtown, easier access to bus system if you want to visit the missions, get to North Star Mall etc....plenty of meandering to do downtown to fill up a few days.

I don't have any personal experience with either location but I do have experience of living downtown SA

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,060 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inn in King William or Monte Vista neighborhood?

Oge House is the best located on the edge of King William, a block from the river. That would be my choice. Noble Inns get excellent reviews and have been around a good while. Although I have never stayed at either, I think you can trust most of the reviews.

Enjoy San Antonio, whatever you choose...

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
6,936 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inn in King William or Monte Vista neighborhood?

We loved the King William area. We walked through it to Guenther House from RW. Residents were friendly and loved telling us about their house(s). Took trolley back to Market Square. I love the idea of staying there.

Maryland
Level Contributor
89 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inn in King William or Monte Vista neighborhood?

Thanks for the responses! Made reservations at Oge House and will write a review. Should arrive in about 12 hours!!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,077 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inn in King William or Monte Vista neighborhood?

Thanks Sunsal. We love it when you folks write a review. Have fun, but unfortunately, San Antonio will be in icy cold front. Unfortunately, your winter escape has somewhat followed you. That's what so weird about Texas winters. We have had 70's and an 82 last week.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,060 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inn in King William or Monte Vista neighborhood?

The good news is the sun should return Saturday and the temperatures should be in the 70'sF this weekend.

Enjoy San Antonio.

Maryland
Level Contributor
89 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inn in King William or Monte Vista neighborhood?

We are happily ensconced and love the King William neighborhood! Thanks again for your helpful comments. Walked to Rosario's in the ice storm last night and it was so worth weathering the elements. Loving San Antonio even in this winter weather!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,077 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inn in King William or Monte Vista neighborhood?

Tks for update. I was thinking about you last night. Glad you can roll with ups and downs of travel with a great attitude!!!!! Rosario's was good choice. Nothing like good TexMex meal on a cold winter night.