We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Embassy Suites or Drury Plaza?

Lloydminster, Canada
Level Contributor
206 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Embassy Suites or Drury Plaza?

We have either 4 or 5 nights for our first visit in San Antonio. We want to enjoy the area on the river walk, the Alamo and the great food I've read about.

Our Canadian dollar is hurting my budget so I've narrowed down to these two properties for hopeful good location, freebies, and good reviews.

The Drury Plaza Hotel comes in at $205/night no balcony and $231/balcony all inc.

Embassy Suites standard king $209.00 total a night.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Mentioned in this post
Alamo
Alamo
Texas
Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
6,403 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Embassy Suites or Drury Plaza?

I have stayed at both...

Drury Plaza has a bit of a location advantage, being a bit closer to the main part of the Riverwalk. (2-3 minutes walking I would guess)

Embassy Suites wins on every other comparison. Nicer and bigger rooms. More comfortable beds in my opinion. 2 TV's. In hotel restaurant is very good. Luke. Drury does not have one. Better and more extensive breakfast and much better free happy hour mixer. Newer and nicer lobby area.

I am guessing you do not have a car but Embassy Suites does charge a bit more for parking. Embassy Suites view is nothing special if you do not have a river view. And Embassy Suites walk to main area of riverwalk is a bit farther.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
29,246 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Embassy Suites or Drury Plaza?

We love Embassy Suites with the cook to order breakfast.

Lloydminster, Canada
Level Contributor
206 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Embassy Suites or Drury Plaza?

I have read that is a definite plus. Did you join in the evening Manager's reception? Did you have a standard city view by chance? I also wonder if there is a less costly parking garage rather than the $27/daily charge?

Thanks

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
6,403 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Embassy Suites or Drury Plaza?

There are cheaper parking alternatives but it does make it inconvenient. There is a surface lot across the street and I believe the charge is $10/12 hrs. Not much savings and no in and out privileges. The way I look at it is if you are staying 5 nights, you might save $50 over all parking somewhere else but the inconvenience for me is not worth it. I always use the valet.

We had a standard city view and it was away from the river looking toward an older rather unattractive part of town and parking lots. Not awful but not something to enjoy.

The Manager's reception is nicer than the Drury although we didn't really have much time to take advantage as we were out and about at that time.

Lloydminster, Canada
Level Contributor
206 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Embassy Suites or Drury Plaza?

Thanks so much! The Embassy wins the contest. I phoned there directly and reserved a king room and requested a river view but I won't hold my breath. Oh well we will be mostly outside enjoying the view from up close!

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
6,403 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Embassy Suites or Drury Plaza?

I think you will be pleased with the accommodations.

Enjoy San Antonio

Lloydminster, Canada
Level Contributor
206 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Embassy Suites or Drury Plaza?

We are getting excited for our first trip to Texas. Thank-you everyone for the help to make our experience the best!

8. Re: Embassy Suites or Drury Plaza?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2015, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about San Antonio