We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary suggestions

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
563 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary suggestions

Hi all, as i start to put together my itineries for my upcoming USA trip, id like some last minute suggestions for san antonio that i may have overlooked, i will be there for 3nights in may, im staying at the westin riverwalk hotel. Obviously i ll see heaps of the riverwalk because of location, which is fantastic, will be visiting the alamo, tower of americas ( love to visit towers ) and will checkout the downtown locations inc san fernando cathedral, market square,also i will visit san jose mission and possibly the other 3 if time permits, i see san antonio as one of the places i can really relax in, dont wont to rush, but if theres any hidden gems in the downtown area id love to know about them, thanx in advance cheers john b

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,814 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary suggestions

walk through the historic Menger hotel..the lobby, atrium...Teddy Roosevelt recruited Rough Riders back in the day..suppedly hautned, famous for their mango ice cream

drink or walk through The Esquire Tavern on the RW..established during prohibition 1933..the longest physical bar in Texas

Schilo's German Deli, street level..circa 1917...root beer on tap, split pea soup http://schilos.com/

San Fernando youth mass 2pm Sundays...

San Jose Mission for mariachi mass

walk through King William Historic district...street level or natural part of the river..wonderful pastries/breakfast at www.guentherhouse.com eat in the original German home..the flour mill is still in produciton

on the river..a pit stop for guacamole salad made table side plus their prickly pear margaritas Boudro's..eat elsewhere

most of my suggestons have to do with food.... most of us suggest shying away from restaurants on the river..there are better choices

One of my favorites is hanging out at market square sipping on margaritas....there are 3 sister restaurants,

Mi Tierra 24/7, La Margarita (fajias, try the civeche-shrimp cockail served in a beer schooner), and across the freeway is Pico De Gallo. Mango margaritas!!

in walking distance of downtown is The Cove..an eclectic place...car wash, bar, laundry mat, playground..for live music you can check there schedule. ...know for their healthier food, fish tacos for ex

http://www.thecove.us/

Southtown, S Alamo street is Blue Star Brewery and art complex/adjacent to King William

Edited: 09 February 2014, 07:27
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
563 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Lots of different options there,thanks for all that info. Cheers john b

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary suggestions

tejashombre and I, as usual, on the same page here. His suggestions are spot on. I have come to enjoy La Gloria at Pearl Brewery so I would add that. Also Guenther House for a morning stroll to breakfast. Long wait time on weekends.

Of the sister restaurants I prefer La Margarita... good seafood selections on menu.

Enjoy your stay.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Spanish Goveners palace

5. Re: Itinerary suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2014, 15:51
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
103 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Since you will be visiting the Tower of the Americas, make time to visit the nearby Institute of Texan Cultures to get a feel for the many immigrant groups that have contributed to Texas history and culture.

7. Re: Itinerary suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 05:21