We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April Trip to San Antonio

Oregon
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
April Trip to San Antonio

Going to visit San Antonio is a bucket list item for both wife and I. My wife is a history buff and I like the idea of the river walk area and just relaxing some place warm. We are coming from Seattle and are thinking about staying 4 days.

We originally thought about coming there in April but noted that there is a festival between April 10th and 27th. It looks interesting, but then is it too large an event to enjoy what we have come to visit San Antonio to see? Could someone advise us on this? What suggestions do you have for a better time? Also any advice on hotels would be appreciated. $150 a night is the preferred top of our budget. It does not have to be on the river walk just close and if possible near the Alamo.

Thanks.

Bob and Marilyn

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
230 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: April Trip to San Antonio

I went to SA last April at the same time you are thinking about. I am also from Seattle and the weather, while better than Seattle, was cold only one day and mid 70's the rest of the time. So not Palm Springs hot, but if you are in the direct sun like on the water taxis on the river, you will feel it.

Don't let the Fiesta deter you from SA. It is like the Bite of Seattle, and only affects a small portion of downtown each day. And that is at night past 6 pm.

We stayed at the Hilton House off of Chavez Blvd, so it was south of downtown, but next to King William Mansions area, very walkable to the Alamo etc, since it is on the Riverwalk.

History buffs like the string of Missions to visit, and the small towns like Greune and Fredericksburg.

I will let the local experts fill you in on the good stuff to see and correct my lapse of memory.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,810 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: April Trip to San Antonio

visitsanantonio.com/english/Browse-Book/Shop…

http://riosanantonio.com

The good news is that 70% of all Riverwalk hotels, eateries, ice cream, souvenir shops, art galleries, etc are all on within 1 to 6 blocks of the Alamo. Very easy. Then the Alamo is 2 blocks from huge Rivercenter Mall and more restaurants/food court. All these things are on the level of the river or up some stairs and on street levels.

There are a few areas away from immediate downtown. El Mercardo Mexican Marketplace and Mi Tierra famous Tex Mex restaurant. Pearl Brewery village. Southtown for more food such as Rosario's TexMex and art galleries. Google these.

There is a sightseeing city bus that goes out to Brackenridge park, Whole Foods, Arboretum and the lovely volunteers in the visitors center across from the Alamo can help you with that brochure, any maps etc. Great place to get ideas of where to go and street car route info too. Ask them about the city bus that goes all the way to the North Star Mall and drops you off to shop and maybe eat at the Cheesecake Factory. Since you have 4 days, this might be nice change from downtown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfWW-ZcQclc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmgYsU52z44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG6L6qI2kss

All the above mentioned places can be seen on YouTube. Just search around by names I listed

Edited: 14 February 2014, 01:27
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,810 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: April Trip to San Antonio

Four years ago I booked a hotel on The Riverwalk for 4 days, not knowing that Fiesta was going on. It turned out to be fun, because as I was sightseeing I would walk up on an event getting ready to start. One was a huge presentation in front of The Alamo and the Major was present. It was fun to see the all the people wearing their medals. www.fiesta-sa.org/events_detail.aspx?id=178

The highlight was my walk down the river walk to a fabulous 2 days juried art show with artists from all over the U.S. and gorgeous art. It is on the grounds of the Southwest School of Art:

www.fiesta-sa.org/events_detail.aspx?id=181

http://www.fiesta-sa.org

https://www.swschool.org Go to Google Images to see photos of the grounds

To see past Fiesta videos go to YouTube and put San Antonio Fiesta in the search box

Fiesta is a big event for San Antonio residents. They partake in the festivities and have lots of private themed parties. Because things are staggered and spread out all over town, it is not overwhelming. Days I went weather was beautiful, but in Tx we never know if it will be hot or chilly in April. Be sure and pack a sweater and a light jacket. That's a must! Enjoy your trip. I love San Antonio.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
6,066 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: April Trip to San Antonio

Do not let Fiesta deter you from visiting but be aware that accommodations near downtown will fill up and be at a premium. Expect room rates to be high and do not expect many if any promotions.

I would book as soon as possible.

Best of luck.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
17,676 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: April Trip to San Antonio

you can definitely visit during the beginning of Fiesta....the busiest weekend is the last weekend which has major parades on Friday afternoon and Saturday night. That being said, the riverwalk is a totally different vibe even when these parades are going on. It is two different worlds.

Austin and the Hill Country are just over an hour away....lots of LBJ history, the LBJ library in Austin, his working ranch and national park due north of SA. Lady Bird's own wildflower center.

If you stay downtown, you really don't need a car and you can avoid parking.

Drury Inn and Suites. Drury properties get consistant thumbs up for price, service, breakfast etc.

Also suggested is to use hotwire to bid on a hotels downtown...you can get a better deal

there is a sightseer bus line..you should be able to get to the missions

definitely walk to King William for the historic German Homes...enjoy some coffee and pastries or even breakfast at www.guentherhouse.com Original flour mill is still in production and you can eat in the original Germanhome. pancakes, waffles, biscuits and gravy..a nice gift shop!

again, the choice is yours regarding a car..I might suggest renting a car for a day trip as the wildflowers should be blooming the 2nd and 3rd weeks of April

downtown also has The Texan Institute of Culture.. history of different cultures that helped settle Texas

visit the original Amtrak train station/area..next to the Alamodome...Aldaco;s restaurant is in the the old warehouse portion

Edited: 14 February 2014, 04:59
Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
17,676 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: April Trip to San Antonio

walk through Menger hotel next to the Alamo...Teddy Roosevelt recruited Rough Riders back in the day, supposedly haunted and famous for their mango ice cream.

Oregon
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: April Trip to San Antonio

Thank you for all of your help. It is very much appreciated. We have set our vacation in San Antonio for April and it sounds like a lot of fun.

8. Re: April Trip to San Antonio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 07:20