We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nearby Nature Trips

Which San Antonio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Nearby Nature Trips

Just back from Guadalupe State Park...30 minutes away...I went Hiking,and it was so much better once you got away from the screaming kids..The River is calm and shallow here making it ideal for the young'uns...Lot's of Deer...Have already been to Natural Bridge,Gruene,Choke Canyon...Any more Rec's??? Enchanted Rock looks like it,so far.........Not over an hour away.......

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,418 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nearby Nature Trips

Cibolo Nature Center in Boerne is great and there's shopping nearby if you're so inclined. http://www.cibolo.org/

Government Canyon …state.tx.us/spdest/… opened less than a year ago.

1life, are you familiar with geocaching? Check out the web page http://www.geocaching.com If you haven't heard about it, here's how it works. Folks hide a container (cache) with trinkets (swag) and a log book on public (or private with permission) land. Using a GPS (global positioning satellite) receiver the get the coordinates, then post them on the site. Others get the coordinates from the web site, put them into their GPSr and go hunt for the cache. When found they sign the log book, exchange trinkets, and post their find back on the website. There are many variations and difficulty levels - something for everyone. Only downside (besides addiction) is the cost of a GPSr $100 to $400 depending on the bells and whistles.

It's a great way to discover/rediscover interesting spots.

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nearby Nature Trips

I hope you get lots of replies. I'll be following the thread. When we lived in FL we went sailing every weekend afternoon. The boat is still there. :< We were saying last weekend we've got to get some new hobby for fun here on weekends instead of moping around and missing what we had and wondering what to do!

Of your list 1life2live, we haven't done Choke Canyon...where is that? We have done the Gov't Canyon hike, nice but not as strenuous as we'd hoped--probably good this time of year though as it has a fair amount of shade. The guy following along behind us asked us if we'd seen the rattler on the trail...it evidently crossed the trail between him and us. We missed it, but believe me, my eyes were wide open from that point on! Enchanted Rock is great...but I've never done it in summer. Obviously, there is no shade so get an early start!

Have you hiked Friedrich Park off I-10 north of San Antonio? It's a nice little hike, plenty of shade too. It was rugged enough that the 2nd time we went we wore our hiking boots.

We've followed the trail along the Guadalupe as far as we could and that is pretty...a relief to get away from the main swimming area though. Wow!

Another beautiful hike, though further afield, is Lost Maples State Park. Make a stop in Bandera either going or coming for the Cowboy Saloon. I think that's what it's called. We did it on the way home--mmm that cold beer sure was good after the hike! I'm not sure which we were more enthralled with, Bandera or Lost Maples! :> Both were great!

More???

Austin
Level Contributor
72 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nearby Nature Trips

right now Choke Canyon is day use only because of no water.

Mount Bonnell in Austin is probably just over an hour away. Pedernales State Park has wonderful trails with little waterfalls (if they haven't dried because of the drought).

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,418 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nearby Nature Trips

You might also want to attend a local Sierra Club meeting. They lead outings usually a few times a month. It's a great way to discover new spots and make new friends.

5. Re: Nearby Nature Trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 01:19