We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a weekday trip worth it?

MN
Level Contributor
23 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Is a weekday trip worth it?

Hi,

A friend of mine and I are planning our first trip to San Antonio. It looks like we will only be able to make it Tuesday and depart on a Friday in May. I'm wondering if it's worth making the trip soon because of that, or if we should wait a few months when we can go over a weekend. We want to stay somewhere with a spa as well. Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
17,635 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is a weekday trip worth it?

If you wanna relax and just hang out then during the week is fine. Of course, around July and August is the worst time as far as temps and humidity.

Weekend evenings on the river tend to get crowded . During the week you can find live music every night of the week in SA.

Downtown is self-contained and plenty to do without a car.

There are plenty of downtown spa services....just hanging out on the river and market square is good enough for me....people watching, sipping on margaritas, ejoying the ceviche (shrimp cocktail served in a beer schooner) at La Margarita., walking through King William area, touring the historic hotels etc.

You might consider a day or overnight trip to the hill country...spa service, wine tasting etc....if you wanna go local then intertubing on nearby rivers is popular.

If you wanna plan a weekend excursion, you can look for regional article/events here.

www.texsahighways.com or

events from the SA visitor bureau

outside of downtown about 40mins is another possiblity to chill. Gruene Texas. dance hall, free music daily, general store, concerts Fri/Sat evenings, restaurant terraced over the Guadalupe River

http://www.gruenemansioninn.com/

www.gruenehall.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqwafQYOwrY @ 1:20

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is a weekday trip worth it?

I try to avoid crowds, so a weekday visit to San Antonio in May sounds perfect to me. As noted above, weekends are always crowded on the Riverwalk, and in the summer, it will be crowded almost all the time, but May, which kids still in school, should be great during the week. Go for it!

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
6,062 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is a weekday trip worth it?

Another vote for weekdays. Unless you just like being part of the masses, the week is great and May, while warming up a bit, should get you good weather.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
28,805 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is a weekday trip worth it?

We did weekday visits and we loved it as the Riverwalk was not that crowded yes its worth it.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is a weekday trip worth it?

Two full days during the week is fine for the basics (Alamo, half day outside downtown to see the Missions, exploration of the Riverwalk, run over to go up the Tower of the Americas etc.), unless your heart is set on seeing the Riverwalk jumping on the weekends as discussed above - however, that doesn't also include spa time. You might want to tack on another half day if your spa time will be considerable.

If you would want to turn that into a loop of Hill Country (Enchanted Rock, Austin and some of the show caves), then you're talking more like a week.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
141 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is a weekday trip worth it?

A weekday visit to the River Walk area is great. Lots of places have weekday HH specials, the crowds are down and general sightseeing and getting around is easier.

The Hyatt Regency on Losoya is a great place to stay. Right in the middle of the action and there is an Aveda spa right in the hotel. Highly recommend.

7. Re: Is a weekday trip worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 04:28
Get answers to your questions about San Antonio