We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please recommend best mexican near the Riverwalk

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
543 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Please recommend best mexican near the Riverwalk

We love Mexican food and will be traveling to San Antonio in early may for a night on the Riverwalk. Any suggestions for a moderately priced Mexican restaurant within the downtown area for great food, chips and salsa and margaritas would be wonderful. Thank you!

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,845 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please recommend best mexican near the Riverwalk

it is better to go to Market Square..walkable, or take the trolley...3 sister restaurants..Mi Tierra 24/7, Christmas year round, Mexican bakery. Adjacent is La Margarita...strawberry, my favorite is mango, other flavors....just under the freeway is Pico De Gallo-not so touristy, very colorful. Gogole for menus, youtube for video of interiors.

I would not venture eating food on the river..likewise for most posters here.

Edited: 11 March 2014, 21:09
Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,319 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please recommend best mexican near the Riverwalk

If you want Mexican as in the interior try La Gloria at Pearl Brewery. Great new restaurant with dishes typical of the street food of Mexico. If you want Tex Mex I am a big fan of La Margarita in el Mercado. Also like el Mirador near King William.

I agree that there are few decent eateries on the Riverwalk. Casa Rio is a Riverwalk institution with very average food. Great location...maybe a beer and an appetizer?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
543 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please recommend best mexican near the Riverwalk

Thank you for the great suggestions. We love Mi Tierra's and especially their lemon lime rimmed margaritas! Is La Margaritas similar in comparison to Mi Tierra as far as the food, margaritas, etc? I have heard of a place called Paesanos on the Riverwalk that has a prickly pear margarita and tableside guacamole that everyone raves about. Is this a good restaurant and is it reasonably priced? Thank you in advance for your help.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
543 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please recommend best mexican near the Riverwalk

I meant Boudros not Paesanos as I stated above for tableside guacamole and prickly pear margaritas.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,845 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please recommend best mexican near the Riverwalk

La Margarita's original specialty is/was fajitas-beef, chicken, shrimp or combo. I enjoy their shrimp cocktail/ceviche served in a beer schooner. The serve oysters as well. On line menus can help you decide-look at La Margarita's house specials and mariscos,

get your margaritas here!..look at the different flavors-mango, cranberry, mango is yummy, a blue margarita...a swirled- 1/2 regular, 1/2 strawberry...I've also asked for a sangria margarita before

I prefer Boudro's as a pit stop/ as an appetizer- the guac salad and PP margarita. Try dinner elswhere.

Steaks and Jazz at Bohanan's,

cheap/tasty Tex Mex for breakfast and lunch is Blanco Cafe on N. St. Mary's near Greyhound...voted best enchiladas...

Pit stop at Schilo's German Deli..circa 1917....root beer on tap

Edited: 11 March 2014, 22:25
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
543 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please recommend best mexican near the Riverwalk

Tejashombre thanks for the great suggestions. Looking forward to our trip.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
141 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please recommend best mexican near the Riverwalk

Boudros is great for a first stop, the PP margs and the table side guacamole are worth a visit.

Love, love, love Bohanan's. Great steak, wonderful service, just perfect. Go early for your res and have a drink in the downstairs bar. Really fun.

We usually do Schilo's for breakfast. Tasty and a bargain at the prices they charge. Try the pea soup, so good.

http://bit.ly/1iAWMyV

texas
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please recommend best mexican near the Riverwalk

I love Rosarios. Right on the outskirts of Downtown. We eat there now every time we visit SA for husbands work meetings.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,845 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please recommend best mexican near the Riverwalk

shrimp nachos @ Rosario's yum

a cousin of mine likes Enchiladas Suizas:

Two chicken-filled enchiladas topped with a white wine cream sauce

and a dab of crema fresca and white cheese.

margaritas here too!! prickly pear, mango, etc.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
543 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please recommend best mexican near the Riverwalk

Is Rosarios within walking distance of the Menger hotel or could we take a trolley there? It sounds wonderful! Thanks for the great suggestions.