We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help for last minute ideas for SA trip.

A PLACE CALLED HOPE
Level Contributor
86 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Need help for last minute ideas for SA trip.

Hello all,

My family and I will be leaving for SA on Wendsday for our first trip. I had this all planned out, then life happens and I have to change some plans. I almost canceled the trip but decided to go but cut back on spending. That means no Seaworld for the kids. Is there something to make the kids happy that not so expensive, preferably something with water. LOL! I thought about water parks but they can get expensive. Also I need ideas for cheap breakfasts. I have some restaurant.com coupons for lunch or evening meals but need ideas for breakfast. We are staying at the Menger hotel and I dont believe they even offer continental breakfast. My hubby loves history which is why we chose the Menger. So, anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

McGregor, TX
Level Contributor
692 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help for last minute ideas for SA trip.

You can eat pretty cheaply at Mi Tierra if you try. Otherwise I'd find the nearest Taco Cabana (there's one on W.Commerce). If just muffins and croissants is adequate, Rivercenter Mall has a Starbucks in it.

If you have a car, your kids might enjoy Natural Bridge Caverns. It is $15 for adults, $9 for kids so still may be expensive. No water, but it's cooler! LOL

FYI, you can get discounted Sea World tickets at HEB in San Antonio. There are offers on the back of Coke cans and I think at McDonald's too.

Good Luck, and have fun!

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,519 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help for last minute ideas for SA trip.

Cheap water activities:

Guadalupe State Park, I think 5 bucks a person (we have an annual pass) take stuff for a (hamburger, hotdog) cook out. We often go after work, get there about 6:30, swim, eat, and swim some more until dark.

Toobing the Comal/Guadalupe in New Braunfels. About 12 bucks a person. Take drinks (plastic, no glass or Styrofoam allowed) and sunscreen.

Breakfast, From an earlier post: Schilo's has a great breakfast. It's just a couple of blocks south of the Hyatt, on the corner of Losoya and Commerce.

North on Losoya a few blocks (turns into Broadway) is Twin Sisters, another great spot for breakfast.

There are also several Mexican restaurants that cater to the downtown workers. These are typically open 6am to 3pm on weekdays. Panchitos and Arizona Cafe are two, but there are many. Those two are on Dolorosa just west of the courthouse. Mi Tierra's is a little further west and is open 24/7. It's a little touristy and a little more pricey than the others, but has a fun ambience and great pan dulce.

THam added: G/M Steakhouse on Alamo (just a couple of blocks southeast of the Hyatt) has a very affordable, tasty breakfast with your basics: eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, toast, coffee, etc.

Also, about three blocks northwest of the Hyatt on St. Mary's is the Blanco Cafe, which has very good Tex-Mex like breakfast tacos, migas, etc....

San Antonio
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help for last minute ideas for SA trip.

I don't know what your budget is but I believe you can get two for one tickets to Six Flags Fiesta Texas at Valero gas stations. They have a water park that is included with your admission is addition to the water rides in the park. Definitely get your hand stamped and leave for lunch. You can go to the Shops at La Cantera mall two minutes away and they have a food court. Parking is $10 so ask about re-entering and the lockers are around $8.

The suggestion to go tubing is great too although the water levels may be low right now. If you do go make sure you pay extra for the tubes with bottoms, you will thank me later.

Kids also love the zoo. There are discounts on the local Coke cans for two for one admission. With the money you save you can take them on the Brackenridge train ride.

For cheap breakfast you could always go to the McDonalds on Commerce St. a block from the Alamo. There is also a Denny's on Commerce across from the Marriott Rivercenter. I would also ask the concierge for directions to the Bill Miller's downtown near City Hall. They serve excellent breakfast tacos but you may double check if that location does. You can also have a great lunch there for around $5-6.

Good Luck and have fun!

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,519 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help for last minute ideas for SA trip.

Comal River is relatively drought resistant, I haven't been in about 4 weeks, but it should be fine.

Pipe Creek, Texas
Level Contributor
59 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help for last minute ideas for SA trip.

For Cheap fun with kids and water there is always Splash town. It located on 35N . Admission $24 adults and $18 kids but I believe I have seen them cheaper with local coupons.

HEB grocery stores sell 2 Day Sea World passes

Adult $46 Child $36

The Wittie Museum on Broadway (not to far away from the Menger) has Free admission on Tuesdays after 3:00. The have an awsome place in the museum for kid called the HEB science Tree House. We went a few weeks ago and it has just recently been totally renovated.

The San Antonio Zoo is always a hit with our kids. Prices are not what I would call cheap Adults $9.00 kids 3-11 $7.00

Natural Bridge Caverns is nice but I wouldn't call it cheep. Also be aware if you have little one you will be carrying them throughout the cave system. The way is paved but is slippery. I wouldn't call it cool because the humidity makes it feel very hot and sticky. This is a very neat place if you have older boys who are into this type of thing and may yawn at the zoo like mine Mine. LOL we went a few months ago.

Adults $15 Child $9

Gualupe State Park was a great suggestion. You would only pay for the adults kids 12 and under are free. They also have a guided tour of the Honey Creek State Natural Area next door to Guadalupe State Park. It is on Saturday mornings.

The tower of Americas is fun to take a ride up. It will give you a very good view of San Antonio. The observation deck on the top floor is Adults $5 children $3 They have recently renovated the restaurant which was bought out by Landry's. The section where the tables are rotates (slowly) so you get a 360 view of San Antonio while you eat. Very fun but don't put your purse in the window sill or it will take a cruise around the retardant without you ,don't ask how I know :). I would say the prices are very high but you are getting the view so if its worth it give it a try. There is always a dessert only option.

The Institute of Texan Cultures is right by the tower of Americas and is very interesting especially if your kids are a little older and can read. They do have a puppet show for the little ones. Adults $7 kids 3-11 are $4

The San Antonio Children's museum on E. Houston street is fun! Admission is $7 for all . Under age 2 free.

Cheap (not fancy )Breakfast for us would be breakfast tacos at a taquiria. They are everywhere! also McDonalds has sausage biscuits for .85 cents.

Keeping a small ice chest with us with drinks, and a box of snacks really help to stretch the budget. Staples for us peanut butter crackers packets, twislers, granola bars, pop tarts,muffins, juice boxes, sodas , water. I keep reloads of these in our car trunk so we dont have to haul it all to the room.

hope that helps you!

Robin

San Antonio Native and mom to 4 kids

A PLACE CALLED HOPE
Level Contributor
86 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help for last minute ideas for SA trip.

Great suggestions everyone!!! Thanks so much for taking the time with all your great ideas. Im sure the rest of my family will appreciate it as well!! LOL

By the way, what is HEB? Dont laugh!!!

Thanks again

Pipe Creek, Texas
Level Contributor
59 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help for last minute ideas for SA trip.

I won't laugh at you its a Texas thing. HEB is a local grocery chain in South Texas. I am sure you will pass a few while you are here and there is a really nice one in a nice neighborhood on Braodway. You will pass the Wittie museum on your way there!

Ask at the hotel they can direct you.

Robin

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
313 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help for last minute ideas for SA trip.

As far as water parks, we were just at Schlitterbahn, and though you do have to pay to get in, you can bring picnics, so if the admission is within your budget, you can bring your own food and save money. Also, parking is free--so many parks charge for that and that adds up.

You can certainly have a good time without doing any of the parks, but I just wanted to point that out.

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
313 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help for last minute ideas for SA trip.

Another option you might consider is the Witte museum. We took our kids (8 and 10) there and they liked it very much. Mostly they liked the science treehouse part, but they enjoyed some of the other exhibits too. It's cheap and we found a coupon (the maps and brochures in the hotel had tons) so we only paid half price. It was $13 or $14 or something.

A PLACE CALLED HOPE
Level Contributor
86 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help for last minute ideas for SA trip.

OK, one last question. Parking at the hotel is expensive!! Is there overnight parking anywhere else close to the Menger that is more reasonable?Thanks!

Get answers to your questions about San Antonio