We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hidden Gems in San Antonio?

SAT
Level Contributor
3 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Hidden Gems in San Antonio?

I'd like to hear recommendations of any hidden gems here in San Antonio. Things outside of the norm (i.e. Alamo, Riverwalk, etc.). Those places are great, but for those who have already experienced the tourist-y events or are wanting to walk off the beaten path. Anyone?

City Sightseeing San Antonio
City Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Gray Line Tours
Beer Tastings & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Bus Tours
Alamo Trolley Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Sightseeing Tours
San Antonio
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hidden Gems in San Antonio?

Cool Crest Miniature Golf at 1400 Fredericksburg Road just North of the IH-10/Woodlawn intersection. A classic San Antonio original and still the best, Cool Crest has been operating for nearly 70 years! Two full 18 hole courses integrated into a sloping site with concrete walkways, running water, and banana trees galore! Truely one of a kind, a hidden oasis and a step back in time.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
575 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hidden Gems in San Antonio?

Is this place still open? I've driven by there a couple of times in the past few months and it appeared closed. It will be a real shame if it has closed down. I spent a lot of time there as a teenager and then went next door to Knowlton's for an ice cream float.

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hidden Gems in San Antonio?

Have you visited the King William Historic District, walked the shady streets there and admired the gorgeous homes along King William St and Madison. It's a large area encompassing several sq miles, with diverse architectural styles from cottages and almost Mission style homes further out in the district, to the elegant dwellings on King William, all dating from mid 1800's to early 1900's.

The "other" missions...more interesting (IMHO) although less well known than the Alamo. Mission San Jose especially offers some terrific photo ops. Even and amateur can produce some pretty spectacular pictures there.

Tour the Aztec theater

Natural Bridge Caverns, 1/2 hour out of town off !-35.

The museums--McNay and Witte...or the children's museum downtown?

Blue Star Arts complex...certainly off the beaten path!

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,596 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hidden Gems in San Antonio?

The free pools operated by the city especially the one at San Pedro Park. While you're there the springs are fun (right now I think they've stopped because of the drought.) Pools close after Labor Day, so you'll have to hurry.

Other off beat things - Toilet Seat Museum, Wooden Nickel Museum, Christmas House. These three are tiny spots worth an hour or so, talking to the proprietors is the main attraction. Outdoor things nearby - Cibolo Nature Center in Boerne, Cave without a Name in Boerne or the more developed Natural Bridge Caverns in Garden Ridge, Bats at the Tunnel near Fredericksburg. Toobing the Comal, Guadalupe River, Sun Marcos.

Live music at an authentic Texas institution might fit the bill.

A quick drive to Helotes about 20 miles north towards Bandera gets you to John T Floores Country Store http://www.liveatfloores.com an authentic Texas dance hall.

Another great dance hall is Gruene Hall, about a 30 minute drive up I-35 just past New Braunfels) www.gruenehall.com It's Texas’ oldest dance hall. There are lots of other great spots for live music.

San Antonio
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hidden Gems in San Antonio?

The gate into Cool Crest was open when I went by around 5 pm tonight. It was plenty hot at the time, so i didn't see any players out on the course near the street. Everything looked neat and tidy and ready for anyone that wanted to challenge the courses.

San Antonio
Level Contributor
65 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hidden Gems in San Antonio?

Not really hidden -- but certainly undermentioned.

The McNay (6000 N. New Braunfels at Austin Highway) is an incredible collection of contemporary art housed on a property that is beautiful and parklike.

It's a great place to spend at least half a day.

7. Re: Hidden Gems in San Antonio?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 06:26
Get answers to your questions about San Antonio