We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golf in December/February

NJ
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Golf in December/February

My husband and I are trying to plan a 4 day golf vacation between Christmas and New Year's and again in late February. Where we live, it is very cold at that time of year. We are looking to go somewhere where we would be able to play golf each day, but also have other things to do/see when not golfing. We were thinking of Georgia and Texas for both vacations. Would you recommend San Antonio or anywhere else in Texas at that time of year? If so, what other things would be fun to do at that time. Any information would be greatly appreciated! :)

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golf in December/February

I'm in San Antonio now, but we lived in Savannah too for 4 years...and FL for the last 8 prior to moving here last year. You certainly stand the best chance of nice golf weather in FL of course, and it doesn't necessarily have to be at the expensive Gulf locations. North of Tampa you have Worldwood in Brooksville, or the Westin Innisbrook resort just south of Tarpon Springs. Tons of places around Orlando too, of course, and on the east coast, Ameilia just outside JAX.

Yes, there surely is golf to be had around the San Antonio area, and odds are it will be decent golf weather...but we can get some serious cold fronts too on occasion. Savannah and environs are similar in climate to San Antonio. Occasional serious cold fronts, but generally nice. Serious cold fronts to me by the way, mean a front where the days may not get out of the very low 40's with some freezing temps during the night. Happily they are short lived.

Truly, although I know you didn't ask about FL, you stand your best chance of absolutely beautiful golf weather there. Winters are their dry season and you can expect low 70's for daytime highs, plus plenty to do the days you don't want golf...although the Brooksville location is more isolated from "what's Happening" in FL.

Texas Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Golf in December/February

Don't trust San Antonio weather during the winter. I've been there where it was sunny & 75 deg one day, flash flooding/raining the next, and 4" of snow on the ground three days later. San Antonio is beautiful during the winter, and has plenty to do. Just don't absolutely plan on only outdoor activities.

Head a little further south, along the Gulf Coast, such as South Padre Island, & Corpus Christi. The area is full of winter Texans, (also lovingly referred to as "snowbirds") that happily spend their days golfing, playing, shopping, sightseeing, and enjoying the sunshine and fair weather all winter long.

San Antonio
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Golf in December/February

Gee, it seems to me that only a couple of years ago, the Gulf Coast of Texas, including Padre Island, had several inches of snow on the ground at Christmas while we here in San Antonio were still only listening to "i'm dreaming of a White Christmas".

Just goes to show you that weather in Texas (as well as elsewhere) is pretty fickle and can't be predicted very far in advance other than in general terms. Snow on the ground in San Antonio and South Texas is pretty much an unusual occurance. Our really cold fronts in winter generally don't hang around more than a couple of days, allowing us to participate in outdoor activities pretty much the entire season.

Whether you decide to come to San Antonio, father south toward Padre Island, or over to Florida, it's a good bet that the weather during that time will be decidedly better than what you'd have in New Jersey during the same time frame. Cold weather or rain can put a damper on outside activities no matter where you go and those things will be uncertain until a couple of days before your trip, so it is best to know that you'll have other interesting things to do if the weather turns sour on you.

This is where San Antonio will really shine. In addition to all the usual things to see like the Alamo, La Villita, the McNay Art Museum, the San Antonio Museum of Art, and the Missions, the Riverwalk at night around Christmas is lit up gloriously.

Texas Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Golf in December/February

My sincere apologies to Sarider. I surely didn't mean to imply anything negative about your weather. We love SA & all it has to offer! For anyone touring Texas, it is a must!!

However, in the 25 years that my husband take our yearly "get away weekend" in February, we've usually found South Texas climate more acceptable to outdoor activities. We don't have the luxury of an entire week or more, so we have to keep to the best odds on fair weather.

Since we are also avid hunters, I've found that my shorts and t-shirts accomodate our South Texas Lease during hunting season better in the daytime, than the Hill country lease does .

And about that first time in history (2004) - snow on Christmas Eve. It was Phenominal! Santa was put on the back burner, as most families did not get to their trees until all the snow in their yards was bundled into snowmen! It was so unusual not to wear short sleeve shirts and slacks to my mom's for Christmas dinner. And we actually got to light our fireplaces.

5. Re: Golf in December/February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 11:18