We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riverwalk Hotel for Road Trip?

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Riverwalk Hotel for Road Trip?

Hubby and I will be traveling to San Antonio from August 24-27th as part of a road trip to Dallas for the Cowboy Classic on Labor Day weekend. We will be coming in the evening of the 24th, and leaving the morning of the 27th to head on to Austin.

We're having some issues narrowing down our lodging choices. We'd like to stay on the Riverwalk to get the most of our time there. We're an active couple in our early 30's. We're planning on seeing the SA sights one day (Riverwalk itself, Alamo, Missions, etc), and rent a motorcycle to head out to Hill Country the next. Budget wise, we'd like to stay under $175/night (which at this time of the year, doesn't seem to be difficult). Important features: on the Riverwalk, easy walking access to area restaurants and sights, clean, modern hotel with comfortable beds. We generally travel to unplug and experience as much as the area has to offer, but spend little time at the hotel itself. We will have a car, but we are fully aware of the parking costs in the area. We'd like to be able to park the truck, and not move it until we leave.

We've narrowed down the hotel selection to: Westin, Embassy Suites, Omni la Mansion, Hotel Contessa. We're also considering the Courtyard Marriott Riverwalk. Can anyone offer personal experiences with any of these, or other suggestions that might fit our needs?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
25,888 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riverwalk Hotel for Road Trip?

Stayed at the Omni la mansion and it was great. But if your plan is to be out all day no point in a high profile hotel on the riverwalk

Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riverwalk Hotel for Road Trip?

Stayed at Marriott Rivercenter last year, great hotel & great location right on the riverwalk. The mall is just a few steps away!

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,814 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riverwalk Hotel for Road Trip?

Embassy Suites is the newest offering downtown and with good reviews..not on the exact stretch of the most active part of the river but only 2-3 minute walk

Omni/:La Mansion is probably the most famous...Spanish style, some balconies..

Contessa gets good marks

Marriott is on the natural part of the river..not the incorporated part...but again, just 2 or 3 min walk and you are in the action...very close to King William historic area..for morning stroll, and not so touristy eateries

downtown is not that huge and thus walkable so as far as location, any of them would serve their purpose

Edited: 04 August 2014, 09:31
San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,447 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riverwalk Hotel for Road Trip?

I like Contessa. I am always happy with blind bidding for SA - Hotwire $100 or a little more 4-stars.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riverwalk Hotel for Road Trip?

I have stayed at La Mansion, Embassy suites, the Westin, and Marriott...

It really depends what you are looking forward.

La Mansion is 4 star and Spanish Style with great location and fantastic restaurant. Classic old hotel.

Westin is 4 1/2 star ultra modern typical high end property with a lot of expensive, but nice amenities.

Embassy Suites is very newly opened with large suites and two TV's able to handle 4 people and the best in terms of free amenities...breakfast and happy hour. Very popular, and expensive, restaurant (Luke) on property. Quieter part of river.

Courtyard Marriott is well located and typical Marriott.

Cannot comment on Contessa as we have not stayed there.

I like the Embassy because of the room size and the free breakfast (hot) and happy hour as well as quieter location a bit away from the main part of the riverwalk...only 3-5 minutes walking along the river to get to all the action.

Next choice would be La Mansion for location and old world charm.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riverwalk Hotel for Road Trip?

Thanks for all the feedback! We ultimately decided to book the Omni. Prices at that time of year were low enough that we felt like splurging would be doable. We aren't huge breakfast people, and usually just go on coffee for the morning, so no free breakfast wasn't a deal breaker for us. I really appreciate all the replies and recommendations from you all. Certainly makes vacation planning much easier!! :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
929 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riverwalk Hotel for Road Trip?

Just a note: I believe public transportation only goes to the first 2 Missions (they're not in the Downtown/Riverwalk area), so if you want to see all four you'll need your car or rental bikes - and I'd choose the car in light of trying to do everything in one day.

Also,definitely take the Riverwalk cruise to unwind at the end of the day (I would suggest taking it once in daylight and once after dark to see the walk lit up, but don't think that's feasible with your time limitations).

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,646 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riverwalk Hotel for Road Trip?

We recently stayed at Contessa. You might check our review. Hotel itself is nice, but immediate neighborhood leaves something to be desired. If you book there, don't pay extra for river view, as the view is very limited, and all you see is a small portion of the river which is undeveloped. Hotel was, however, less expensive than others on riverwalk.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,305 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riverwalk Hotel for Road Trip?

If you are not going to be using the vehicle, self park across the street from the hotel in the garage. This will save a bit of money.

10. Re: Riverwalk Hotel for Road Trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2015, 05:16