We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to SA. Lodging and transp questions-

New Orleans...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time to SA. Lodging and transp questions-

Just decided to come to SA for the first time over Labor Day.Trip was planned to see the Matisse exhibit at the S.A. Museum of Art. We will be flying in. My question is: is it possible to get by without renting a car? We figured we would spend some time at the Riverwalk after the Museum exhibit, do the Alamo, and possibly the Mexican Market (don't know the name). Is it possible to do all of this without a vehicle? If so, where do you recommend we look for a hotel?

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Alamo
Alamo
Texas
San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,683 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to SA. Lodging and transp questions-

Check out the "Top Questions about San Antonio" Rent A Car? Parking?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to SA. Lodging and transp questions-

The short answer is yes, you can do these things without a car. If you want to do it without a car, you need to stay on or near the Riverwalk.

Marlin Texas USA
Level Contributor
282 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to SA. Lodging and transp questions-

San Antonio is one of the few Texas cities with a good public transportation system. You won't need a car--the bus system will take you almost everywhere you want to go.

www.viainfo.net/BusService/Schedules.aspx

The Mexican market is El Mercado, and well worth a visit :

http://visitsanantonio.com/Browse-Book/Shopping/Market-Square-El-Mercado-(1)

If you get tired and thirsty, or just want to sit and people-watch, may I suggest Mi Tierra, with a patio seating and wonderful nachos and cold beer.

I can't make any recommendations for hotels since I don't know your price requirements. However, there are a lot of reviews from Trip Advisor members--

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g60956-zfn8732-San_An…

You are going to love the art exhibit, and San Antonio, too! Hope this is just the first of many visits you make to San Antonio!

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
18,604 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to SA. Lodging and transp questions-

you can take the bus, river boat or even walk IMO to get to SAMA

you might check the McNay museum website..it is further up Broadway

as well, if you are a foodie at all, stop by HEB Central Market..on Broadway bus route as well

Mentioned in this post
Broadway
Broadway
1 Review
San Antonio, TX
San Antonio, Texas...
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to SA. Lodging and transp questions-

Yes, it is possible to get around without a car. VIA has a Sightseer Special Bus that hits some major sites, including the San Antonio Museum of Art, where the Matisse exhibit is up: sanantoniotourist.net/2011/… Here's a visual archive of all of my blog posts (including a Matisse post): www.pinterest.com/dbrsat/viva-san-antonio/ To stay, I recommend El Tropicano hotel, which is downtown on the River Walk. (It's right across from the renovated Municipal Auditorium, now called the Tobin Center for the Performing Arts, so the hotel may be booked because the Tobin is opening on Sept. 4.) For market-like shopping, check out Fiesta on Main (another post). Have fun! Cheers, Denise

Edited: 25 August 2014, 01:18
San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,683 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to SA. Lodging and transp questions-

I'm not sure I'd recommend the Tropicana. I've attended several events there (I have not stayed overnight) and their service was very poor. Not enough staff, ran out of things too quickly. I think there are many better choices for hotels in the area.

7. Re: First time to SA. Lodging and transp questions-

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about San Antonio